Logo

V/p TBI ECM compatible with Mercruiser wiring harness?

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys

I am faced with a bit of a dilemma.

The engine wiring harness on my 1996 5.7 Gi TBI is losing its insulation faster than I'm losing my hair.

The correct V/p harness as well as the 4.3 harness which can be used with slight mods are NLA.

What I am wondering is if a Mercruiser harness for a TBI system from that time frame can be adapted to work.

The main concern is whether or not the two large harness connectors will attach to the existing
V/p ECM.

i am aware of some of the differences between the V/p and Merc. systems.

From what I understand some European automotive wiring harnesses are being manufactured to be biodegradable. I suspect this may be the case as I haven't seen Mercruiser harnesses in this bad of shape.

I would hate to have to remove the TBI and resort to a carburetor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank

Jon Allen

Mostly, I'd say you have a good change of making it work. Merc used the MEFI1&2's with the introduction of the EFI setups....and I know I've seen the black I/o's with MEFI-3's....as long as VP uses the standard production GM assemblies, I'd say the only area of major concern may be the distributor....Merc used ESTs on some models and TB-V's on others....other than that, shouldn't bee too hard....

Hi Mark

Thanks for the good info. I'm trying to locate an affordable Merc harness. Some have been discontinued. I found a new one which is set up for a Thunderbolt ignition rather than my EST. Only problem is it lists for over $1000.

Looks like I will be back to a carb. Apparently a lot of FI components are no longer available which is shame as I am a fan of TBI.

Nice thing about a carb is that I can bring my idle speed down slower than a TBI. This allows me to be able to slow troll more effectively. There is also a feeling of security when I am out 30 miles and know that if the engine shuts down I maybe able to get it running again.

Thanks for all that you do.

Jon

you can still get most of the TBI parts - though few thru the marine channels anymore....

I concur on the carb and speed/ease of repair...

As far as the harness goes, they aren't that hard to make....the big investment is the crimper kit....and the wires....finding some of those color schemes can be tough....anyhow, food for thought.

:D

Back