Logo

VW TDI 3.0 260 - Exhaust outlet temperature gauge

keriboi

So I did the boo boo and left the sea cock closed after flushing the engine and the boat went for a small journey. Fortunately no damage was done and even impeller stayed intact although it was replaced.

While the boat was running there was no temperature alarms of anything to alert that there was no water flowing through the system.

On the outlet exhaust from turbo there is a port(see photo). Is there a temperature sensor that should be here or can there be one installed to alert if the cooling is getting hot from lack of water?

outlet2.jpg

Cheers
Keriboi

Hope this helps: My old inboard boat had a total of 6 temp sensors on its twin engines, and half of them didn't work properly after a few years. Took to removing and testing them regularly, and tossing out those that stopped working.

Jeff

I'd be more inclined to add a pressure switch where the cooling water is introduced to the exhaust....its gotta be easier and last longer....

Ayuh,..... By lookin' at the picture, I'd think that plug covers an exhaust port, not a water port,......

I like makomark's idea,on the coolin' water pressure gauge,....
Because a water temp sender/ gauge won't show heat, if there's no water there to measure,.....
It could be blisterin' Hot, 'n show stone cold,.....

I've got a Merc outboard water pressure gauge that's goin' into the I/O barge I'm puttin' together now,....

That's a great idea for boats like mine (1986 Alpha One). I can't tell if she's pumping water in the water (vs. on the trailer) so I added a tell tale. It works fine when it doesn't plug up, which it often does! Then I'm really worried: is it just plugged up again, or is she not pumping water?

A pressure gage would eliminate all that.

Jeff

These appear to have a go-no go switch on the water outlet neck next to the temp sender. However, both of these devices need water to operate so no water pumping wouldn't help with overheat shutdown. Maybe there's another safety switch somewhere in the innards, but I don't see any in all the diagrams.

I'd say that the easiest "safety" would be a switch on the seacock handle that is in line with the fuel solenoid. The engine won't start until you open the valve. an optical switch is probably the thing to use there. That one you need a separate three wire pigtail for. But it's pretty much a simple thing to install.

Last edited:
Back