Logo

Cold oil filter, Crusader 270

On my Crusader 270s with the standard (in 1977) 13/16" threaded nipple, I use either NAPA Gold 1061 or WIX 51061 filters. These don't have the silicone anti-drainback check-valve.

NAPA Gold1060 or Wix 51060 do have the anti-drainback valve.

I ordered the internal adapter for the standard mount, Pioneer 839049, the GM 3952302 # from your photo did not show up at my Napa store. I will probably need to switch to one of your filters, thanks for the info.

Rick, your what puzzles me list is the same as mine. This afternoon I removed all of the remote oil filter and am getting it ready to install the engine mound filter such as DJR has, I sure hope I get hot oil to this filter set up as my what puzzles me list keeps getting longer and longer.

My remote filter is/was mounted horizontal. I will go over everything about it while it is on the work bench and check for checks. Unfortunately I will have to leave this project go until the end of April after a couple of more days of fun in the sun (rain).

Thanks for the drawing about the plug, it looks like it will be a straight shot down the hole and hope I hit something. Lots of information there. Going down the rabbit hole will have to probably wait until April but the would probably be my next first step.

IMG_2357.jpgIMG_2362.jpgIMG_2367.jpg

I have rechecked these fittings for checks, bypasses and dead rats. the first photo part # 233560 adapter has no connection between ports of any sort. the third photo part #CRU97667 also has no connections or ports between the inlet or outlet. Both lines are very open with no internal structural issues. The second photo is just for fun. In a nut shell I can see nothing with this remote filter setup should cause a problem.

I can't see where you would have an issue with regard to any restrictions. Your good engine oil pressure would indicate that.

The issue would appear to be with some type of by-pass that is allowing the oil to circumvent the filter and go right on back into the oiling galleys, and un-filtered by the way.

I agree with the others about that plug probably not being the cause of the problem. If that was a likely culprit, we would hear of that happening in the thousands of GM vehicles on the road. But if you want to verify it, you could remove the oil pressure gauge sender near the distributor and probe the vertical passage with a piece of brazing rod or wire. Bend the tip so that you can feel for the intersecting oil passage just above the plug.

I would definitely follow up on MakoMark's question regarding the inside of the hoses. An industrial hydraulic shop could easily make new hoses for you.

DJR, This afternoon I did what you had suggested. And I found that there is no plug blocking the oil flow through that crossover passage. I used a 1/16" rod and a 1/4" rod to probe the oil bore from the oil pressure sender port. The 1/4" rod would go down to a max depth of 10 1/2" and the 1/16" rod would go down to 12 3/4" max depth. As far as I could tell using the 1/16" rod with a hook on the end of it the top of the port from the oil filter is at 8" and the bottom of the port from the oil pump is at 9 3/4".

For some reason the plug in that passage has come up missing and is allowing the oil to bypass the filter.

DJR said:
.................. But if you want to verify it, you could remove the oil pressure gauge sender near the distributor and probe the vertical passage with a piece of brazing rod or wire. Bend the tip so that you can feel for the intersecting oil passage just above the plug.............
DJR, This afternoon I did what you had suggested. And I found that there is no plug blocking the oil flow through that crossover passage. I used a 1/16" rod and a 1/4" rod to probe the oil bore from the oil pressure sender port. The 1/4" rod would go down to a max depth of 10 1/2" and the 1/16" rod would go down to 12 3/4" max depth.
Terry, are you suggesting that when you probed the hole, you could push a small rod into this hole and go further than 8-3/8"?

As far as I could tell using the 1/16" rod with a hook on the end of it the top of the port from the oil filter is at 8" and the bottom of the port from the oil pump is at 9 3/4".
I'm not following you on that one.
The measurement would be taken from the upper area where the oil pressure sender would be installed.
This measurement would be taken vertically, starting at the top and probing downwards until the rod was stopped by the plug.

For some reason the plug in that passage has come up missing and is allowing the oil to bypass the filter.
Yes, if that plug is not there, the oil will do as you say.
If you'll look at my post #30, I show this dimension in my image.
The info that I found suggests that it should measure approx 8 -3/8" down to the top of this plug.

attachment.php

which begs the question: Who did what when the oil pump was refreshed?

I would certainly agree.
It also begs the question; how many hours has this engine been operated without any oil filtration?

SBC oiling system port plug detective.jpg

Last edited:
Back