Logo

1963 Evinrude 3302 cooling

matramurena

I have a '63 Evinrude 3302 3hp engine that I am restoring after years of storage. Condition was unknown, so that is always a gamble...

After cleaning the carb and fuel line (these was totally clogged) I managed to start up the old b@stard. Even with the old plugs (J6J, no longer available) she runs quite nicely actually. However I am wondering about cooling. The head does not get all that hot so I am hoping that all is well here, but there is no control tell-tale as far as I can see...

Is there a way to check for flow inside the engine? I do not see any cooling water coming out of the engine at all...

See the wee holes / slots on the back of the exhaust housing ?-----Water should spray / mist out of there.------If you do not know age or condition of impeller you need a new one.-----Reason is that motor does not have a shutdown system for overheat.----It will run until it goes ----BOOM !

I have made notice, that water spray is stronger when motor is running in the boat, instead in barrel. When i use my motor in barrel, i have quite good water spray left hand holes, but not so good from right side holes. But when motor is running in boat, water spray is quite good from all left and right side holes. I think it would be good to change head and exhaust-cover gaskets, because then you can clean and check water passages under these covers.
See my 3hp project:
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?451657-Evinrude-3hp-1966-rebuild

Last edited:
??----Simple-----When a 3 HP motor like that is running in a barrel there are lots of BUBBLES in the water.------The pump and cooling system behave differently with all that air !!

Right, plus the turbulence.......you can't put it in neutral.....created by the prop turning in a small area of water, can misdirect currents AWAY from the water inlet. This may reduce the effectiveness and ability of water pump to draw fresh cooling water.
Champion J6C or Autolite 303 works well.

Last edited:
Back