Logo

Merc 2.5 HP 2 Stroke Cooling Problems

DavidP83

Recently bought this second hand motor, (S/N 0D918709) and starts up fine. Cooling discharge rate seems to be extremely low at only a steady drip drip rate increases slightly with motor speed but never achieves a steady stream. Replaced water pump impeller and ensured the clear discharge line coming from the engine block is unblocked. Is there anything else I should be checking before digging deeper into the power head and lower unit's water tube?

Also, the manual I have indicates that there is a seal and spring assembly supporting the water pump impeller. I did not see either of these when replacing the impeller. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

I've found that the small, made by Tohatsu, 2-strokes with weak
cooling water flow can frequently be fixed with a shot of compressed
air into the rubber discharge hose. If you don't have an air compressor,
a can of "Dust Off" will work. Just make sure you have a good seal
with the hose and give it a couple of shots.

More info can be found on this website...in the Tohatsu section.

Thanks very much for responding to my post.

I have seen this both on the boat (inflatable) this summer and most recently on a stand with the motor's lower unit submerged in a large water filled trash can. Why would this make a difference? Thanks again, Dave

Thanks,whitegreg56, I will give the dust off a try and after reading the through the Tohatsu section will also try clearing out the discharge line while the engine is running.

Back