Logo

57 35 hp seahorse

Johnny O

I am new here. Thanks for any help in advance.

I picked up two older Johnson outboards this past November
One is a 1955 25 hp all original that runs like new. I had to replace original fuel lines and water pump but other than that it is a fantastic running and looking motor. I put it on an old 1961 Lonestar 16' boat. Looks great!

The other is a 1957 35 hp seahorse with electric start. A real rough looking motor that needs a lot of work.
I picked up a replacement starter because the original didn't crank over the engine. It engages for a second then stops. Unfortunately, the replacement starter does the same thing.
With the plugs out,it turns over great. Plugs in, turns over for 2+3 seconds.
If I open the compression bar on the back, it turns over.
Could it be the starter needing new brushes?

Compression seems very good,

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
I believe the compression release was activated when the rope starter was pulled. I don't think it was activated when the electric starter was engaged.

I believe the Johnny said that he manually operated / opened the compression release valve while cranking it over with the electric starter.-----And I agree that the starter might need inspection / new brushes.-----Inspect both starters.----Load test the battery.

Thanks.

I realized it was a double post. Sorry

I picked up the extra starter for free. I'm not one to just start spending funds without having success.

And I think you're right. Probably both starters, being 60 plus years old, need brushes.

I jumped starter off my truck battery, so it shouldn't be a problem with a solenoid.

Does anyone have a resource for the brushes. I did use this forum to find Peter in Ontario for paint and decals. Great guy to deal with. The wizard turned out fantastic.

John

Just about any starter / alternator shop would have brushes that fit or can be filed to size to fit.-----That is if you can find such a shop.----The one local to me is now CLOSED.-----Too much competition from cheap offshore products.----And most folks today do not want to wait a few days to have a starter repaired

Have you ever changed any starter brushes? If you have, you know it isn't as easy as it looks. Besides, most of those starters have thrown solder from excessive cranking or armature stalling. That's why we in the field rarely repaired starters ourselves, choosing rather to just buy a reman'd exhchange unit. (Back in "The Day" that is).

I have bought "rebuilt" starters and alternators both automotive and marine that are very poorly done, had to go through them again. Usually a lubrication issue. Done hundreds myself. Look for the warning signs as aforementioned by Gator.

Back