Logo

35 Evinrude, Flywheel Locking Down

dwjohnso

Hi guys, I have a 1978 35hp pull start only Evinrude.
Son brought it home last week with a locked down throttle and pull cord. Found a broken and wedged trigger under the flywheel.Everything else seemed ok So we replaced that part. But when we put the flywheel back on, it only rotates about halfway around and then it contacts something, moves the advance plate a bit and then everything stops again. Turn other way about half revolution and contact again, moves advance plate a ways and then locks down again. Can't seem to figure out what.s hitting. I feel the new trigger is clear or it wouldn't rotate at all to begin with. Now I'm thinking something moved or shifted to begin with to break the original trigger. Magnets seemed okay but not really sure what I'm looking for or at. No stator, just a trigger on one side and another trigger of some sort on the other side. Any help on what to check next?? Thanks

Armature plate moves before the lockup, indicating there is something banging up against something else in there. You say you replaced the trigger/sensor. So, did you set the clearance on that? There is a special tool for that, but you can do it without the tool. Make sure the sensor is flush with the machined edge on the plate.

Yes that's what I was thinking too, about contact of something under flywheel, since the rotation either direction has the same result, No idea on the clearance though, hard to judge that after you put the flywheel back on, could be that very thing. Will adjust and check closer, Wish I has checked rotation before installing new sensor. Thanks

Well then-------Remove sparkplugs.-----Remove flywheel.------Put flywheel nut back on.---------Turn crankshaft.-----Report what you find then.

Ok guys, looks like it was just contacting the new trigger I replaced. Once I loosened it up and moved it inward a bump, everything cleared, rotated and felt correct. Fired up and took throttle good so it appears all is well. Not sure how I had original contact to break original trigger though??
Thanks so much for all the advice and input!

Back