Logo

1968 55hp torn down, thoughts on how to proceed

Jay1234

Regular Contributor
Guys,

Fdrgator and racerone, thanks much for your input over the last couple days. Got outta work early and couldn't help but pull the powerhead. Racer, you nailed it. #1 cylinder piston skirt broke apart. My plan now is to either replace the case or weld it, and new pistons and rings depending on your guys opinions on the cylinder walls. Which appear to have sustained no damage. With the piston pieces cleaned out, it turns over freely. Have a look at the pictures and let me know what you all think.
Figured I'd start a new thread for the teardown/repair.

Thanks.Screenshot_20200118-145536.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200118-145532.png
    Screenshot_20200118-145532.png
    997.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
At first glance, I thought I was looking at a busted-up exhaust port, but after gazing at it awhile, I decided I was looking at the broken piston through the port. Right? At any rate, obviously racer has seen a lot more busted pistons in that model motor than I have. So, I defer to him on this one. The bore does look ok to me though, from what I can see.

Gator, yup that's exactly what you're looking at. Racer, I don't think anyone doubted you statement...
Do you guys think it's best to go .020 with a new (used) block and new pistons? I have a great machine shop in the neighborhood that specializes in engine work, and the .020 pistons are readily available.
I also have the option of picking up a 1971 60 horse powerhead with good compression numbers (120+), for a few hundred bucks. From what I've looked up it would bolt right on. I would be swapping over everything off my engine.

Last edited:
Just to close out this thread, have a long block being delivered at the end of the month. Thanks again for the help.

On this site, on eBay, and at a local dealer that actually still has quite a bit available for these engines. Although I'm pretty sure I'm his only customer when it comes to this stuff...

Back