Logo

Need some advice.

1960CROD

Hey guys. I need a little help if someone wouldn't mind spending a few minutes on me. I do allot of repairs on older Johnson and evinrudes pre 70's usually and have had good success but my favorite died and the replacement has me pulling my hair out.

So i recently sheared the keyway off the crank for the flywheel on my 1962 Johnson 15 seaking yes. A sad ending to a beautiful classic with many seasons under it's belt. So a friend gave me a Evinrude sportwin. I believe it's a 70 or older but do not know for sure because the tags missing.

So here's what's going on. It ran a few years ago and quit due to a no spark condition during a fishing trip (sadly my favorite 62 saved the day) then it sat in my buddy's garage until last week.

When I pulled the flywheel the coils were toast. But everything was free of metal bits. Just some mild corrosion (from sitting in a damp garage) and a pair of cracked coils and dirty points. So I went ahead and stripped the coils, condensers and points off my 62 Johnson 15 and they were a perfect fit. I'd say identical to the old parts.

Now it has spark. But won't bark. Cylinders have 85 and 92 for compression respectively. The carb gets fuel. And the float works. I pulled the carb and installed it on a 64 Johnson I have and it runs that motor fine. So I believe the carbs good, put it Back on the Evinrude it went. When I spray the intake with premix it won't bark, I have pulled plugs. And sprayed premix into the cylinders and still no bark. With an ignition tester on the plug wires I get a nice hot flash. But still no bark. If I pull the plugs they look wet but don't light with a pocket lighter. The only thing I haven't done is check the Reed's but since iv never ran into that as an issue I saved it for last, before I tear into that is there anything else that would cause it to not bark and run? I'm thinking it's gotta be Reed's and a no air condition but pulling the recoil it feels and sounds like it's getting proper compression. Damn near throwing out my shoulder on this one and it has me stumped good.

Thanks in advance for anything y'all come up with

Last edited:
In 64 they started the 9.5 models and a carburetor from one of those would not fit on a 1963 model.------It is confusing as to what you are trying to do.----And reed valves have nothing to do with compression in the cylinders.----Post pictures or model numbers.

I'm trying to get the Evinrude to start. I may have the year on the 64 wrong but the carb fit and it ran. That's how I tested the carb off the project Evinrude. I don't have numbers for it. The tags missing as is the cowling. There all big engines 10-15 HP no 9. Anythings am I giving to much info?

Last edited:
I do not know the decimal fraction conversion. The plugs are set to 30 thousands and I get a nice spark on them when out of the motor and clamped to the block. If 30 thousands is a 1/4 inch then I would say yes

Does spark jump a gap of 6 or 7 mm, yes or no ?-----Laying plugs on the block is NOT a good test of magneto output !

I'm confused by the "Johnson Seaking 15". There was a Johnson Sea Horse 15, last built in 1956 and a Montgomery Ward's Sea King 15 last built in 1962, and an Evinrude 10hp Sportwin last built in 1963. There were some similar commercial and possibly export motors since then. So we don't know for sure what you have.

Confusion aside, you say the replacement ignition parts matched the old ones perfectly. So you must have the OMC Universal magnetos in both motors. That eliminates my initial thought that you may be replacing OMC Lo-Tensiion ignition parts with OMC Universal magneto parts.

The old universal mag was super reliable and simple. If it has good spark (really), it ought to run if everything else is ok.

My only other guess, since it has spark (supposedly) is the possibility of spark plug wires crossed up.

Since you say you do a lot of repairs on similar motors, with respect I assume you know how to check basics such as major engine damage.

EDIT: About decimal conversion: Are you in USA? Just curious.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help. I have gave it a break and will be going over everything again this afternoon. Will update after work

Yes I'm USA. Restoring these is a hobby of mine. Not an actual job. Lol people keep giving them to me and I can't bring myself to let them goto the scrapper

So I got thinking about the spark. Tried scrubbing the points and regapped everything, still nothing, even changed out flywheels to no avail.

Finally I tore the intake apart, it was the Reed's, they had a fine white crust holding them shut . The engine now fire and runs.

West coast, Oregon.

Thanks everyone.

Back