Logo

Parting out 1968 55hp

Jay1234

Regular Contributor
Hey guys,

After the destruction of the crankcase, decided it's best to move on to another boat.
Engine is a TRL-10R. Perfect gearcase. Ignition system 2 years old, (including CDI pack) remote control box good, new throttle cable. Basically everything aside from pistons has been replaced in last ten years. Including engine wiring harness. Don't want much, if anything for it, aside from the parts to go to someone that needs them.
On a side note, keep an eye out for a deal on a pontoon for me. Needs to be a 2 stroke, 70hp or bigger.
Thanks for the help with the 68 over the years. Was a great engine and we'll miss the boat no doubt.
Feel free to PM me.

That crankcase looks repairable to me. But a look inside is first. On the other hand, you may be tired of dumping money in it. That's understandable.

I have salvaged many holed crankcases during my career by welding and/or Marine Tex. The main deciding factor is whether or not other damage was done as the crank/rod continued on it's rotation. If it is just a hole not involving major structure such as sealing surfaces or reed plate mountings for instance it is a candidate. But you will have to take it apart for a thorough inspection before deciding.

Thanks. I guess I might as well at least tear it down and figure out exactly what happened. The engine kept running, just sounded like a big exhaust leak. We do a lot of aluminum welding/repairs at work.

Just did some quick searching, will a power head off of a 71 60hp work? Just want a back up plan in case some major damage was done. Hoping to pull it and tear it down Sunday if time allows.

Back