Logo

Alternator Exciter circuit questions

Trand

I am running a pair of 229 V6 165 HP motors. My house bank is supposed to charge from the Stb. Engine. Didn’t appear to be charging so I got by, by switching to “All” and having the Port engine alternator charge both starter battery bank, as well as the house bank. Trouble is that it couldn’t really keep up with demand, so I am troubleshooting the Stb alternator/charging system.

It appears that the original alternator wires have been replaced. Tough to trace because those wires disappear into the spaghetti! My question is this:

1) on this 2-wire alternator (Prestolite 8RG2069), what volts/amps does the exciter wire require? I have researched and think that it requires a keyed 12v power source, available only when the engine is running, (via oil pressure-activated switch). I have tested and the switch seems to work fine. It connects when oil pressure is up.

2) when I connected a jumpered 12v powers source direct to the exciter terminal, the brand new alternator appears to be putting out 19-19Volts. Why?

3) Am I right in assuming that the output (charging)terminal on this alternator is wired direct to the starboard (house) battery bank?

I have replaced both the House and the starter batteries. Now I also have a new alternator, and I want to make sure everything charges as it should. I want to isolate the house bank when cruising so I don’t get stranded, and I want full charging when under way. I am considering running new wires, and just want to make sure that the exciter circuit gets the right volts/amps. This subject is confusing. I have read that the exciter circuit needs a small resistor/diode/bulb to knock down the input volts... anyone who understands this system, please enlighten me!

Attachments

• 6A175D4A-5224-4EB3-80DC-8742DCB428F2.jpeg
    6A175D4A-5224-4EB3-80DC-8742DCB428F2.jpeg
    711.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
2) when I connected a jumpered 12v powers source direct to the exciter terminal, the brand new alternator appears to be putting out 19-19Volts. Why?

Because the alt output is not connected to a battery.You need a "sense" input from the battery and an "excite" voltage from a switched source. Verify that the alt orange output wire has battery voltage on it with the engine off.

Didn’t appear to be charging so I got by, by switching to “All” and having the Port engine alternator charge both starter battery bank, as well as the house bank. Trouble is that it couldn’t really keep up with demand,

Somethings wrong here because you should not be able to combine 2 motors with 1 battery switch

I am running a pair of 229 V6 165 HP motors. My house bank is supposed to charge from the Stb. Engine. Didn’t appear to be charging so I got by, by switching to “All” and having the Port engine alternator charge both starter battery bank, as well as the house bank. Trouble is that it couldn’t really keep up with demand, so I am troubleshooting the Stb alternator/charging system.

It appears that the original alternator wires have been replaced. Tough to trace because those wires disappear into the spaghetti! My question is this:

1) on this 2-wire alternator (Prestolite 8RG2069), what volts/amps does the exciter wire require? I have researched and think that it requires a keyed 12v power source, available only when the engine is running, (via oil pressure-activated switch). I have tested and the switch seems to work fine. It connects when oil pressure is up.

3) Am I right in assuming that the output (charging)terminal on this alternator is wired direct to the starboard (house) battery bank?

I have replaced both the House and the starter batteries. Now I also have a new alternator, and I want to make sure everything charges as it should. I want to isolate the house bank when cruising so I don’t get stranded, and I want full charging when under way. I am considering running new wires, and just want to make sure that the exciter circuit gets the right volts/amps. This subject is confusing. I have read that the exciter circuit needs a small resistor/diode/bulb to knock down the input volts... anyone who understands this system, please enlighten me!

thanks, I will check output wire/battery continuity. Re. Exciter circuit: is it straightforward 12Volts keyed power, or is a resistor/diode required inline?

The excitation circuit requires little current and typically doesn't care about a specific voltage level....so most installations use a switched battery supply. 16Ga wire is adequate for most marine engines.

Back