Logo

OSCO manifolds / risers

michael_l

I have a 1983 229CI (3.8L) Crusader V6, fresh water cooled. A while back I replaced original exhaust manifolds and risers with center rise OSCO (I could not find any risers for the original Crusader manifolds). It is time to replace the risers again (9 years in salt water) and OSCO is out of business. I have a second pair of very serviceable OSCO risers but no gasket material for the manifold /riser joint. When I replaced them 9 years ago, it was simply a gasket (no SS block off plate) and it has worked well all this time. My question is what kind of gasket material should I use since there are no OSCO gasket available in the market?Thanks, Mike

I'm thinking that you are looking for exhaust "elbows" not risers/spacers..... yes/no?

(in a misnomer fashion, the industry has been referring to these as "risers" for some time now)

A spacer/riser is actually the part that fits between the exhaust manifold and elbow as to gain elbow elevation, and/or provide coolant porting that an elbow may not offer.

Here is a link to Boatman's I-Net Marine.
If this is not the correct elbow, search their inventory.

https://inetmarine.com/osccscr618manifold38lv6.aspx

Once there, click on the elbow, and you will see their OSCCRR-2-G-FW block-off gasket

Last edited:
Yes, elbows, not risers. Thanks for the link and I have requested about inventory. So far the problem has been that places that list them on their sites have no inventory so I may have to make my own. That’s why I was asking what kind of gasket material stock I should cut them from.

Thanks, Mike

You will not want the transfer ports to breach a good seal.
If you were to make your own gaskets, and if unsure of the material type, I would put some effort into finding the SS plates, or make them if not available.
The four holes can be drilled.
The center exhaust chamber port may require the use of a plasma cutter.

Last edited:
I have some extra gaskets that came with the Barr exhaust components I bought a couple years ago. The gaskets are made from Interface Solutions N-8094 material - if you Google the bold text you can get the specs.

So will Barr be the only game in town? Who makes the Crusader branded versions? I just did four of those on my 8.1’s and only found out accidentally that Osco was no more.

Bob

Michael, Where in Maine are you located? I have found Portland Yacht services to be very helpfull on things like this. Their head tech Ray is a wealth of information.

Back