Logo

I bought an 98 Evinrude 25hp and... it has no manual pull starter...!?!

Well I realized today that the outboard I just bought has no pull starter on the flywheel, or apparently, anywhere. I've never even seen a small outboard like this without one and didn't think to check. My bad. Anyway, I'm wondering if one can be retrofitted to this outboard. I've run down my battery many times and had to use the pull starter on my previous outboards and I can see getting stuck somewhere if I don't figure out a way to start it manually. Any thoughts on this?

The charging system will keep the battery in top notch condition.-----But yes you can add a manual starter to the 2 cylinder and 3 cylinder models.

I looked for a recoil but didn't look closely enough to see if it had a notch, I'll do that tomorrow. I'd be happy with something I could hook a rope to and get it cranked with. I'll report back, thanks for the replies.

I have a very similar motor. Has a rope slot. Love it, a " must have" up in the wilderness here.

That's right, Racer, the cowling has the hole plus it is taller. Notice the motors in avatar. Electric start WITH recoil.

MR MILLER, I'm STILL WAITING !! WHAT'S UP ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Sorry about the delay -- got distracted

I found that it has a notch for a rope, thankfully. Missed it the first time I looked. Racerone, I haven't checked the battery charging system yet. From the condition of this engine I'm guessing it's good, but I'll test it out once I get the proper gas tank fitting to start it.

Back