Logo

Need cam specs for 454 model 350 cam shaft

Jeff0101

I have pulled the motors for fresh rebuild. The machine shop has recommended going with roller cams because he states that he doesn't have much faith in new flat tapped lifters because Delphi does not manufacture them anymore and the are built over seas now. He was able to find standard rotation retro roller cams but not counter. I called crane they referred me to a company and they said if they don't have it they can cut one.
My motors are RH-LH model 350 serial #'s rh63990 and lh64116. The only numbers I could find on the cam are 4359 on the end and I have no idea how to get ahold of crusader besides email off of there website and they have never emailed me back.

The best I could come up with is mel22216 @ me22218 for the counter motor. Are these the correct cams for the 454xl 350hp engines. I only brought the LH motor the shop so far and I have not disassembled the RH motor yet in hopes of leaving it intact until I reassembled the 1rst motor to use if I had any difficulties in routing of a wire or hose idk. It is my understanding the RH camshaft is gear driven. I might just have to tear it down to verify. There goes my plan lol

I gave you the Melling numbers for the standard production marine camshafts over six weeks ago....and I don't see where they matter if you are going to upgrade to a roller cam...and the RH engine's cam is gear driven...unless somebody went inside and changed it...

By chance are your transmissions "opposite of engine rotation" capable?
If so, you would be able to build two Std LH Rotation engines!

By chance are your transmissions "opposite of engine rotation" capable?
If so, you would be able to build two Std LH Rotation engines!

Dammit lol I am going to go back and look for that. I am a bit of a procrastinator. I just finally got the 1rst motor down to the shop last week. Crane referred me to a company that will cut a retro roller cam for 500. They just need the specs and need know if its gear driven.
Thanks for the help I will look through now

Velvet Drives (72 series) have output rotation that matches the Input rotation as a rules....either way they are not rated for full power reverse.

Velvet Drives (72 series) have output rotation that matches the Input rotation as a rules....either way they are not rated for full power reverse.

I gave up looking around. Crusader is unreachable, I just ended up calling 1800 runs like new and just ordered the cams and lifters they use from him. To many choices and discrepancies. Who would of thought it would be so hard just to find the cam numbers crusader used.

Dammit lol I am going to go back and look for that. I am a bit of a procrastinator. I just finally got the 1rst engine down to the shop last week. Crane referred me to a company that will cut a retro roller cam for 500. They just need the specs and need know if its gear driven.

The main difference between twin gear driven and chain/sprocket driven camshaft, is the direction of the camshaft rotation.
Twin gears spin the cam opposite of crankshaft rotation, whereas the chain/sprocket system spins the camshaft in the same rotation as the crankshaft.

If that company offers a REV RH Rotation engine camshaft that is chain/sprocket driven, I see no reason why it could not be used!

Keep in mind that with the above, the camshaft's distributor "drive" gear and distributor's "driven" gear are an opposite helical cut.
This is necessary as to turn the oil pump in the standard rotation direction.

Also with the above, the RH Rotation engine's distributor must have a down-load thrust bearing surface.
This is necessary because the opposite helical gear cut creates a downward force, as apposed to the normal upward force.

camshaft drive options.jpg

Last edited:
Makes sense. The shop I brought my motor to has been trying to talk me out of the flat tappet cam only because he is convinced that the new lifters are just not manufactured to good standards anymore. He wanted me to use a retro roller design which is fine except they doent make them for the RH motor. Which left me with having one custom made if I gave him the specs I wanted, for even more money. I gave in after talking with the guys at 1800 runs, they said they use these cam lifter combos and they warranty there engines. I'm just gonna use the flat tappet cam settup from them.

I havnt tore down the RH yet but I did check and the distributer gear is the same as the LH, so think it has 2 gears idk lol. I will know for sure in a little bit though.

If the RH engine hasn't been rebuilt, it will have the gear drive.

Keeping the gear drive will allow you to keep interchangeability with the distributors on both engines....

I haven't tore down the RH yet but I did check and the distributor gear is the same as the LH, so think it has 2 gears idk lol. I will know for sure in a little bit though.

If they are cut the same, then yes..... the REV RH engine would have the twin gear camshaft drive.

Back