Logo

BF 15 battery cable extension

Chowboy

Happy New Years everybody! I’m restoring an old tinny and need to move the battery forward, maybe 6-8’. Any suggestions? Is marine grade necessary if I’m going to run the cable thru pvc to an enclosed battery box? I’ve seen the jumper cables trick but am concerned with overheating. I should note that the boat is an electric/manual start, will be used in f/w 99% of the time and stored in a arid high desert climate.

im sure most will say replace existing cables with a marine grade singular +/- cable, however, this is a budget build just to get a few lines wet. I’m also concerned with the difficulty of connecting the cables to the motor itself as I don’t believe they’re using a ring connector, hence why I’m leaning towards a butt splicer. Thanks in advance!!

You can use a regular proper gauge wire, you can use stainless connections or you may also use a bus bar or a perko switch to make the connection. To help reduce long term corrosion, you can use a protective spray, gel or paste and shrink wrap the connection points.

Match the gauge that is on the engine now, I think it is 6 or 8 gauge. I have a perko in my boat with my batteries up front, I actually really like the perko for when my boat is not in use as well as trailering, I can switch it to off so a switch doesn't get bumped resulting in a dead battery. Worth it in my opinion and if you have one laying around, use it up!

Thanks again Eneusiis. After looking more closely at the perko switch, it looks as tho I ONLY connect the positive leads to the back of the switch. Is this correct? Adding the additional positive wire extension from the perko switch to the battery is clear, but I’m not sure how to extend the negative wire. I should have stated that I plan to move the battery from the back bench seat to the middle bench seat (6-8’). I’m thinking of just using the blue seas dual post in the link above. Again, I’m not an electrician lol but I do appreciate tour time and help. Thanks again!

I'd steer you to reconsider the wire....yes, a "marine grade" is best but there are many option between there and big box battery (auto) cables. The biggest is the stranding.....many fine strands stand up to the vibration much better than a few thicker ones.

If both ends of your cable have ring terminals, a nut & bolt will work, even better with a length of heat shrink over the connection...

Thanks makomark & eneusiis...I appreciate ya taking the time. I’m thinking less is best as I may just have a Napa make some new wires for me. Will report back when it’s all done with the cost...cheers!

Back