Logo

Johnson Meteor 100

My son just bought me for Christmas a very old Glaston with a 1966 Johnston Meteor 100 V4ML 12 which the seller said was a 4 stroke and ran on normal petrol but from a few searches it says it needs 50-1 oil mix. I’m confused is it a 2 stroke ?

Of course it is a 2 stroke to be run at 50:1 mix.------Still one of my favorite motors.-----Simple battery ignition.----Very strong electric shift lower unit.----Have a bunch of them laying around for parts.----Given that it may have been run on straight gas, you need to do a compression test !!

Thanks racerone I appreciate your assistance. Finally got onto the PO and he said sorry He was thinking of one of his other motors

imagejpeg

Attachments

• 08CD7416-4B78-4F46-8D1E-BCB6286CB5C6.jpeg
    08CD7416-4B78-4F46-8D1E-BCB6286CB5C6.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 191
WOW....WOW.....WOW! You raised your boy right, my friend. That is gonna be FUN!

Last edited:
I think the first thing I would do is install a new water pump impeller.-----And if it still has a red overheat light I would test that bulb.------Or install a warning horn instead of the light bulb.

Is it just me or have the new impeller materials been degraded? Fact for consideration: Original Johnson / Evinrude units lasted 40 years, now you gotta change 'em every 5 to 10 years???? WTF?

Hi all
the tilt on the Meteor 100 works but won’t stay up. Any advice on how to top up the hydraulic fluid.

There were two manuffacturers of the power tilt pump, Calco and Prestolite. There were a lot of failures of the Calco unit (leaking down). The failure was caused by a blown gasket in the pump. Not normally serviced, the pump was supposed to be replaced instead. However, since there were so many failures, OMC did supply a gasket kit for them back in "The Day" through the dealer network/warranty. I used to have a couple of the kits, but sold them on e-bay long ago. You might try that.

Having said all that, it isn't necessarily the pump gasket, Calco or Prestolite. Possible could be the check valve in the pump, or even the hydraulic tilt cylinder leaking internally.

Oil is to be full up to the fill plug when motor is tilted up. Use a squirt-type oil can do do it. You may have to prop yours up to check it, since it won't stay up on it's own.

Hi Due to many issues with the Meteor my son has now bought a 1993 Johnson 70 4 stroke to replace it. The seller has installed the new motor and connected the steering but now he needs advice on connecting the new controls and the dashboard gauges. Any advice would be appreciated

In post # 1 you were confused by a 4 stroke motor.-----So I have to ask again and I am very curious.----Where did you find the 1993 model 70 HP 4 stroke ??------Is it a 4 stroke or a motor where you do not have to mix the gas and oil ?????

Last edited:
Thought so-------You need to make sure to find out if oil injection is in service or bypassed.-----Mix gas oil at 50:1 until you are 100% sure of what is going on.-----Failure to do so can result in permanent damage to the wallet.

Back