Logo

Shift rod linkage confusion!!!

Willc256

Hey all, I need some help here. I have a 1983 E50belcta. I just bought the boat. I knew it had a issue shifting from forward to reverse. Tried to adjust with the adjustment knob and could get reverse but not forward or vice versa. Last night I dropped the lower unit to adjust/measure the shift rod. I'm going to say it was close to 20 29/32" the cheat sheet I seen shows it should be 21 23/32" the rod completely unscrews before it can reach this measurement. I need to know if I have the wrong rod measurement or something else. Please help I need to get back fishing 😬😬😬

The correct measurement is 20-29/32"-----Not sure where you got the other number.-----Clearly a case of getting / checking that you have the correct information !!-----Does the motor shift properly when you disconnect the cable at the motor ?-----There could be an issue with the cable.---An issue in the control box.-----Or an issue in the gearcase.

Hey got it back together right measurement and still no reverse or forward at the same time only ones or the other. I noticed when I put it in reverse I can pull the linkage back another 1/2. It the black piece at the end of the cable supposed to act like a shock and push against the shift linkage. Going to try and post a pic

No " shock device " in any linkages.-----Remove shift cable.----Pull push on the end of it.-----How much play is there ?-----Yes , cables can wear out internally.

Took cable to a boat center and there was not hardly any play and they wouldn't even sell me one. On the parts list there is a STD rod and a long rod . Are these measurements the same because I have a long shaft I'm pretty sure. Sorry im new to all this but do appreciate the suggestions

What did they say about the 1/2" play in the black cable end? There should be NO play in the cable. Did you get a picture for us?

Last edited:
There are long shaft motors and short shaft motors.----There is a 5" difference between them.-----So that is NOT the problem here !!

Thanks for that... I have the pic but can upload. But when I put it in reverse with the engine off I have to simply push it back the extra half in" so the cable has been ruled out because it has very little play. The rod is set. The controller when I open it and watch, it looks like it's got the slack in it. The half in of travel is there as well. Almost like it needs help to go through the full range.

If you reduce photo to about 1000kb it will allow upload to your album. There are limits but I haven't explored them much. Some cables have a set screw at the end where it goes into the fitting. Maybe loose? Check for that missing roller that fits on the shift lever arm end inside the controller. Maybe somebody had it apart once and lost it. I just repaired a pontoon boat with rusty cables, maybe I took some pictures, the roller was missing. Here is a part of discussion with that boat owner, but I didn't take any photos of it.

"Could somebody have had the control apart since the last time you used the boat? It was a little part missing that could not have fallen out when I changed the cables but it could have fallen out when it was completely apart previously. To change the cables you do not have to take the top portion of the control off and this little roller would have stayed in place had it been there to begin with. I noticed that it had been apart recently and the guy badly stripped out the Phillips head screws that hold the sections together. I've worked on dozens and dozens of controls and so I moved the roller from the external throttle safety ramp to the internal side where it gets more action. Then I created a new roller for the safety device so when the motor is in fast idle position it cannot be shifted into gear it has to remain in neutral until the fast idle lever is returned to its normal down position. Whoever worked on this boat between mounting the motor and the power tilt and trim, the electrical work, and the control, was quite mentally challenged."5696.jpg Here is a picture of that control.

Last edited:
The factory control for 1983 models was the newer control with " snap in " cables.----Not the same as " power shift II " control in above picture.

E3584D95-4400-4D7E-8CDF-C5D88A332019.jpeg See the black line on the brass rod. That's where it was before I pushed it back into reverse

Attachments

• CE2ECE7F-0012-4790-BDD9-C4A7F7112FF2.jpeg
    CE2ECE7F-0012-4790-BDD9-C4A7F7112FF2.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 55
It should not take much effort to determine where the problem is.-----And have you looked at the gear oil , yes or no ?----From here I say there is a problem in the control box linkages.

Just had new seals put on due to a small leak and had fishing line caught in it. I will inspect the controller and take pics after work tonight

Update! Sorry been very busy. I have revisited the linkage situation after watching a danger marine video. I did not adjust the knob after adjusting the rod inside. So I pulled the foot rechecked. Unhooked my shift linkage and readjust the knob while in neutral until the pin and pin hole naturally line up. The boat goes in both forward and reverse with the engine off. Going to the lake soon but is looking very promising. And again I want to thank everyone for helping me along

Back