Logo

Nissan/Tohatsu M3.5A (3 hp) removing Prop problem

frimicaptain

I have two friends. Each have motors that look similar. They seem to both be Tohatsu M3.5A outboards. One is branded Mercury and is pretty new, about 2005. The other is a Nissan older perhaps 1998.

They both had leaking gas tanks which I replaced. They both started and ran, but would not drive the boat. They both have plastic props.

I worked on the Mercury first. I pulled the cotter pin holding the prop, and I spun the prop right off. The shear pin was sheared and buried in the plastic internally. I replaced the shear pin, put the prop right back on. The motor started, ran and drove the 14 foot boat along at a good clip.

On the Nissan, I can't seem to get the prop off. I pulled the cotter pin, but when I spin the prop it doesn't seem to unscrew, but just spins on the shaft. Any ideas on how I can get it off with out cutting it off?

Thanks for your help. Regards Captain Tom

You will need to pry the prop off. It may crack coming off. The big cotter is the only retainer. The prop does not unscrew. The 3.5A starts in gear, and the water pump is on the prop shaft. The 3.5B has a gear shift, and the water pump is on top of the LU housing.

Back