Logo

Tohatsu M35A questions

matramurena

Hi!

I am in the process of restoring an old M35A. I can not find any information about this engine on the internet so I guess I have to ask my questions here.

I bought the engine without being able to start it and without any information about its condition. I have startet up the engine and it is now running perfectly fine. However I will replace the impeller, plugs, oil etc. just to have all new again.

First question though... How do you remove the gearhousing from the engine? I have taken out the 6 bolts but the house keeps hanging on the shift-rod. SHould I loosen the rod at the engine and take out the complete rod? I cannot see any joint in the rod where I could screw it loose and it does not feel like it is hanging on splines at the gearbox or something.

Other question: How many anodes does this engine have? Mine only has the one sitting at the bottom of the fin near the propeller.

Thanks!

Thank you for the reply! However, when I typed M35A, it was not a typo. It is actually a 2-stroke 35HP (thirtyfive) engine from around 1980. Unfortunately the website you linked to only has a 35HP jet-engine and not the 2-stroke I have...

Yes I noticed that.

I tried searching in Japanese from Japan and all I can find are these motors for sale on auction sites in Taiwan and China.

Does the engine have a model number stamped some where on it.
If you search for this number with google you may find something helpful.
My 3.5 has its number on the motor bracket.

regards Thomas Bodine

I managed to get the gearshaft loose. Turned out that the shaft consists of two halves, hold together by a bush locked with a pin.

Here's the engineplate I found on the engine:

thumbnail_20200107_124602.jpg

That motor may be from the 1970's. Good luck finding parts. It is possible that the water pump is similar on some later models, YMMV.

I managed to get the gearshaft loose. Turned out that the shaft consists of two halves, hold together by a bush locked with a pin.

Here's the engineplate I found on the engine:

View attachment 22542

Hi, looks exactly as mine. I try to find some info about retrofitting a starter engine on this. There is clearly a place for one, but does anybody have a spare part number for this item? What about the manual, did anyone get hold of that?

2022-06-15_09-54-44.jpg

Regards
Marko /Finland
f9b417db-b717-4cd3-922b-f4ebd15c3df2

Hi, looks exactly as mine. I try to find some info about retrofitting a starter engine on this. There is clearly a place for one, but does anybody have a spare part number for this item? What about the manual, did anyone get hold of that?

View attachment 28791

Regards
Marko /Finland
f9b417db-b717-4cd3-922b-f4ebd15c3df2

Found all info (and also all parts needed second hand, locally), local rep was very kind to provide needed info. Model mostly same as M40C, which was continued until 2012, many parts same for Suzuki also. Files to big to upload here. Contact me if you need the manual, parts lists for M35A or M40C.

Last edited:
Back