Logo

440 Mopar marine slow cranking, timing, wiring, need help

Wiring is pretty basic and details can be found in the service manual.

As far as "slow cranking" goes, there are multiple possibilities. I'd suggest starting with the battery - make sure it is fully charged and that both wires have clean and tight fittings on both ends....

Welcome... If your not familiar with the direct drive starter that's pretty much how they are.
They kind of grunt while turning over...

Welcome... If your not familiar with the direct drive starter that's pretty much how they are.
They kind of grunt while turning over...

Thanks ive been living on the h2o sea in San Diego,CA for life, I acquired a 28'1973 luhrs,with no info,history,on the 440 Mopar, I'm a hands on guy, I have fallen in love with this boat! I'm not good at these forums, I like this one, so I appreciate everything you all can do. Anyway motor 440 is back fire threw carb, I'll post pics tonight, thanks guys, Surf's up, & it's lobster season... Thanks

Rid yourself of a slow cranking direct drive starter motor (old Bendix or otherwise) and install a HTGR/PMGR starter motor!

These typically spin the armature 3 Xs faster, apply more torque (via the gear reduction) to the flywheel ring gear, and use less Amps while doing so.

NOTE:
this is not necessarily a substitute for any bad cables and/or a faulty battery.
make sure that both the Positive and Negative cables are in great condition, and that your battery is up for the task.

Last edited:
Back