Logo

J6RCRM 6hp Carby

Gazza265

Me again,

I am told reliably by those in the know on here that making the 6hp into an 8hp is not an economical nor for that matter even worth the trouble.
So, to those much clued in gentle people here who harbor massive amounts of knowledge and wisdom I have another little gem of a question to pose to you:

I have measured the Carby ( 325312) base venturi hole and it is 20.5mm or .807" in diameter, I then used my trusty Mitutoyo Vernier Caliper to ascertain that the inlet hole in the Inlet Manifold measures a mere 16.0mm or .629in. Now this raises a question in my curious mind, would using a Dremel tool to port match the carby and inlet manifold be a wise move or not?

If not, can someone explain why?

Perhaps the engineers that designed the thing could better answer your question. But since I am not an engineer, the best answer I can give is I don't know. So try it and see is the time proven way. But keep in mind that carburetors are matched to the engine mostly by cubic inches of airflow per minute. So the design of the rest of the engine such as porting and compression ratio affects the developed horsepower and thus the cu. in. of airflow. If this were not so, you could mount a 40hp carb on a 3hp motor and make big waves.

Many of the 8 HP models had a reed plate with 3 reeds instead of 2 on the 6 HP models.------Perhaps look for a 9.9 motor and rebuild it.----Then you be happy.

Many of the 8 HP models had a reed plate with 3 reeds instead of 2 on the 6 HP models.------Perhaps look for a 9.9 motor and rebuild it.----Then you be happy.
I wasn't looking to buy and rebuild another motor, I was just wondering if assembly norms used to make things as technically well assembled as possible in the interests of maximum efficiency from a engine might involve what is commonly carried out on automotive engines etc?
I spent days port matching the inlet manifold and carbies of my 4.3lt Hemi 6 and the difference was quite noticeable when compared to off the production line assembly.

Back