Logo

J6RCRM 6hp to 8hp.

Gazza265

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me the difference between a 6hp and 8hp motor. Since they are basically the same block etc what is the factor that makes it an 8hp instead of a 6hp?
I realize that 2 hp is inconsequential in the big scheme of things but just for the hell of it I'd like to try this as an exercise in "It's possible so I will try it"

Looking forward to some informative replies and technical direction if possible.
Remembering of course that I'm on the East coast of Australia and we don't have the myriad of cheap OEM and aftermarket stores you guys enjoy. We pay through the nose for stuff you guys seemingly have overflowing from your sources.

Regards

Garry

You can do what I just now did. Spent 5 minutes comparing the parts lists here at marineengine. So far, I've discovered the 6 and 8 have different cylinder/rankcases, cylinder head, carburetor, and reed plate.

I spent 10 minutes while letting my coffee cool down. There are 3 different carbs and 2 different heads. Crankshafts are the same. The 8 hp does have a fair amount more thrust, I have both models here. For my use, I like the 8 as I use it for trolling on an 18 foot open fishing and freighting rig. Got a friend near Mackay, concerned with fires he has a big pig ranch 400 head, but it's a poor business.....guess he just likes pigs. Apparently most consumers like beef. If he was in the US, he'd do much better. Your fires have burned 7 million hectares? WTF, that's almost 1/3 of the state of Minnesota.....and prime land besides. You guys are in our prayers, brother.

Last edited:
Different block with different intake system for some years.-----Not an easy upgrade at all.-----Correct , lots of parts in my area.

Thanks for your prayers mate, much appreciated and yes the fires are the worst we have EVER experienced in history.
My daughter and son in law lost 200 acres of prime fodder crop that they grow for their Canadian Speckled Park cattle breeding farm ( ranch lol) and 7 kilometers of fencing as well. Managed to save the farm house and shedding as well as driving the cattle into the creek that runs through their property. 75 head of top notch CSP is not cheap and it would've near ruined them if they lost those too.

Back