Logo

Evinrude warning horn repair

Capnstern

Recently I have discovered that my overheat warning horn isn't working. After seeing the price of a replacement for what amounts to an electromagnet with a diaphragm, I decided to see if I could fix it. What did I have to lose. I started by checking to see if there was continuity between the two terminals, which there was not. I disassembled it by working a screwdriver blade around the perimeter of the end cap (Pic#1), then prying the can away from the cam (pic#2). I checked the coil by setting my ohmmeter to 200 ohms range at the points indicated in pic #3. I then cleaned all the contacts indicated in pic #4 with very fine sandpaper(even around the rim of the diaphragm as well). Put the diaphragm in with the contacts facing each other. I also put a very light bend in the lip of the diaphragm to make sure it would touch the metal contact on the rim. To reassemble,just put the diaphragm in the cap, invert the horn body, push body and cap together and tap it down firmly around the rim with a small hammer. The screw indicated in pic #6 adjusts the horn. Check with an ohmmeter. It should now read 3 to 4 ohms. Finish up by connecting to 12 volts. It worked for me.1.jpg2.jpg3 test points.jpg4 cleaning.jpg5 reassembly.jpg7 finished.jpg

Back