Logo

12v71 oil pressure issue.

Capnstabn

Okay so I recently acquired a 1969 LCM8 on my starboard engine I am getting no oil pressure absolutely none even to the oil filters and this is a list of everything I have done. I have completely remove the oil pan remove the pressure relief valve the pressure regulator valve and the oil pump I disassemble the oil pump, inspected it and reassembled it. the same with both of the pressure regulator and pressure relief valve. If I leave one of my oil filters off and I spin the motor over while starving it for fuel to see if it pumps oil up and I am getting none. someone else has worked on this engine before as a couple of the bolts and stuff for loose when I went to remove the oil pump. I thought for sure that was going to be the cause of the lack of oil but now that I have everything back together I'm still getting no oil to my filter housing let alone to my engine. could it be that someone disassembled it before and maybe could problem with it be inside of my oil cooler? Also is it possible for the pump driven gear to be installed on the other shaft maybe it is on the wrong shaft and causing it to suck instead of pump??? This is why I hate working on stuff that other people messed with.

Welp....a '69 Detroit Dripper has been worked on MANY times by now so, you're outta luck there. ;>)

It's been a loooong time since old me worked on one of these so please, don't take my word as gospel. AND most of my background was with 6 and 8v versions. Just worked on a handful of 12v's.

No mention of oil pickup tube and screen although I assume you checked that out FIRST.

You only mentioned ONE pressure regulator valve. I remember there were TWO on the 12v. At least I remember 2 on the last 92 I worked on. Something to think about anyway.

You may want to locate and remove the oil cooler oil bypass valve and see if you get a gusher there. Oil DOES have to travel through the cooler before entering the filter(s) so if it were plugged, that would answer why you have no flow there.

If no oil comes from the oil cooler bypass cavity then the problem will be in the pan....somewhere.

Good luck.

Welp....a '69 Detroit Dripper has been worked on MANY times by now so, you're outta luck there. ;>)

It's been a loooong time since old me worked on one of these so please, don't take my word as gospel. AND most of my background was with 6 and 8v versions. Just worked on a handful of 12v's.

No mention of oil pickup tube and screen although I assume you checked that out FIRST.

You only mentioned ONE pressure regulator valve. I remember there were TWO on the 12v. At least I remember 2 on the last 92 I worked on. Something to think about anyway.

You may want to locate and remove the oil cooler oil bypass valve and see if you get a gusher there. Oil DOES have to travel through the cooler before entering the filter(s) so if it were plugged, that would answer why you have no flow there.

If no oil comes from the oil cooler bypass cavity then the problem will be in the pan....somewhere.

Good luck.

I figured it out it ended up being the previous mechanic installed the drive gear to the oil pump on the wrong shaft and the pump was sucking through the system backwards and yes you are correct there are two pressure valves on the engine one is the pressure relief valve in the other is the pressure regulator valve I cleaned both of those and yes I did also clean the pickup tube in all of that. I think I now I have it figured out and we'll finish having it put together tomorrow

Back