Logo

What should be in this hole in the lower unit? '73 Mercury 110 9.8

@Reel_Chris

I removed the lower unit of a new-to-me 1973 Merc 110 9.8 horse to replace the water pump (3737XXX serial number range). While checking the water intake tube for clogs, I noticed that this hole next to the water intake. I can't find the right schematic to figure out what it's for. Can anyone tell me what it's for and/or what parts I need to fill it?

Thanks!

thumbnail-1.jpgthumbnail.jpg

That would be for a stud to hold the lower unit in place.-----Obviously it was broken off or missing altogether.

I found this schematic, which doesn't really point to any parts attaching to that area, other than the water intake tube and screen next to the hole.
31.GIF

Facts for you.-----So you did not like my answer or are you looking on the WRONG page for YOUR answer ?-----That hole is for a stud to hold the lower unit in place !-----What does the parts blow-up for the exhaust housing ( driveshaft housing ) show ????

Last edited:
Well, Racerone, you were right and you were wrong.

The hole is for a stud to hold the lower unit in place, but it did not break off - it is firmly attached to the driveshaft housing. I should have realized that, but the rest of the engine was stored separately from the lower unit. I obviously should have waited until I could examine the upper half before posting the question in the first place. Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
thumbnail.jpg

Back