Logo

Fuel Additives & New Seafoam Marine Pro

eneusiis

Regular Contributor
I have been a long time user of Seafoam in all my engines from weedwackers, outboards, cars/trucks etc.. For my outboard, I have always ran a "mixed drink cocktail" for my engine of 1 part Yamaha Ring Free, 1 Part Seafoam and 1 Part Stabil Marine. Never an issue, always performed but its a pricey mixed drink.

Seafoam Marine Pro just hit the market and I am going to pretty much just use it from here on out and possibly some ring free with it till its gone since I have it.

Just wanted to open some conversation to see if anyone has used it, loves it, hates it, doesn't believe or anything else. If your curious the cheapest place to get it is at Napa for $15 for a 20oz can. Amazon it is $25. Can't find it anywhere else.

Stabilizes fuel for 2 years, Stabil was I think 6 months. I don't buy the 2 years but looks like it completely replaces the need for buying Stabil separately.

https://seafoamsales.com/product/sea-foam-marine-pro-fuel-system-treatment/

Napa: Use search Keyword :SF MP20 or click on the link below.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SF_MP20?keywordInput=sf+mp20

I am very curious about this. I use ring free with each fill up, but if I can get the same plus a stabilizer that would be better.

The best additive deal out there now is the new Techron Marine product. It uses the same chemistry of the original Ringfree plus it has stabilizers that will protect the fuel system for up to 2 years. The add rate is 1 oz per 10 gallons. That's only 10% as much as Seafoam Marine Pro. You can get enough Techron Marine to treat 1280 gallons of fuel for $72.90 through Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/TECHRON-2667...ocphy=1015057&hvtargid=pla-596331685855&psc=1

Hi guys,
I just ordered the 100 gallon bottle off of Amazon....$10.99
Prime qualified for free delivery.

Guys, I have done lifetime of reading on marine fuel treatments. There are about 40 auto fuel treatments on the market, only about 3 worthwhile marine fuel treatments. To begin with marine outboard engines are different, they run much cooler than autos they do not build the combustion chamber temperatures a car will. The biggest issues with marine engines is old fuel = varnish and poor quality 2 stroke out does not burn correctly and creates high carbon build on the ring lands and piston domes. Most auto fuel treatments are alcohol as they absorb water. Purchase a quality 2 stroke oil such as Yamaha or Mercury they are blended better than the off brands, their oils burn cleaner and will prevent ring destruction.

Here is the most compelling reason to use Yamaha Ring fuel treatment; It is the highest concentrate of techroline of any fuel treatment. Boat fuel almost always turns to varnish over time, in newer marine engines the varnish ends up in the high pressure fuel tank and fuel injectors, the most sensitive parts of the fuel system. We all know how much varnish likes to accumulate at the bottom of an old outboard carburetor.

Yamaha ring free actually burns out varnish from the fuel system. A Yamaha tech told me years ago he hates to sell ring free because he can't sell carburetor rebuilds. Find any old carb bowl or dirty fuel injector and drop it in a pan of ring free, the product restores the metal to new, burns out all the varnish and dissolves the carbon.

I guess enough Mercury Quick Clean or Sea Foam could do the same, I have not done any testing. Years ago I had an old wave runner that sat in the yard with old fuel that turned to varnish. I figured easy enough to clean with mineral spirits, then lacquer thinner then acetone. Nothing touched it. The Yamaha guys sold be a bottle of ring free, it dissolved he varnish before I could shake the tank.

Not that much more money than Sea Foam. No need for a lot of mechanical work, pour a shock dose in the fuel tank then go enjoy your boat ride.

Gear Head. I thought Techron superseded techroline. And I thought that the Ring Free was a Techron mixture. Am I wrong about that?

Anyway, I run a bottle of YamaLube Ring-Free, at the maintenance level (1 oz. per 10 gallons), through my BF 225 at least once a year. I've had absolutely no fuel problems since I started doing that back in about 2010.

I still use Sea Foam on my small engines at home - mowers, pressure washer, rototiller, generators, etc.

Chevron later rebranded Techroline to Techron quote below is from Chevron website

Techroline was the predecessor to Techron. The company claimed it could control combustion-chamber deposits in cars, as well as keep their fuel-intake systems clean

The ad goes something like; TECHRON! WITH TECHROLINE!
I used to buy bottles of this stuff at Costco for my autos. But there was a warning on the container about overtreatment. I can't remember the particulars but I think it was something like only 1 bottle every so many fill ups.
That's when I went back to Lucas Oil fuel additive. It's non-solvent, you can't overdose, and won't poison catalytic converters.
I'm not certain but I believe it's very much like the detergent cleaning that the BG products do.

Having said that, I'm currently using the Techron product that was recommended by the OP of this thread. If it works as advertised to stabilize and preserve gasoline, I will certainly keep using it as it will be VERY cost effective in the long run.

I am a big fan of SeaFoam, too. I have used this fuel additive for over 20 years. It works. It is extremely effective at cleaning your entire car engine. It is powerful and increases your gas mileage, especially in my older car. I am getting 3 more MPG with this product.

After that, I just want to say that with SeaFoam fuel additive, you’ll be able to tell the vast difference it makes in the motor’s fuel efficiency, preventive maintenance, and overall performance.

Back