Logo

Bay Mfg Extension Kit

Tikitech

Anyone have any experience with installing one? Tips, things to watch out for, any issues? I've seen in my web search the biggest task is opening the driveshaft hole to accept the coupler on the extension since it's a larger diameter. Any tips or advice would be appreciated, first time doing this in our shop but like I told my manager there's only one first time! :)

115 Johnson, is a used motor we had in our shop going on a 86 Bayliner, replacing a 125 Force
J115PLSNF Jan 02 manufacture date

No experience with that kit. Give them a call, they have a help line. Think it's 419 499 4602.

I've talked to them, talked to the shop foreman as well, good customer service. We ordered the kit last week was just wondering if there were any general issues anyone may have had installing one of thier kits. Basically all the same. Thanks

Thought I would update this post. The extension kit was everything they described it as being. It wasn't as difficult of install as I had anticipated. Boring the shaft hole was my biggest worry. We bought a piece of all thread that fit our hole saws, put a 1" inverted inside a 1 1/8" to act as a guide. It took approximately 10 3/4" of drilling to get through the taper of the casting. I went slow and kept checking to be sure I was maintaining even cutting and staying "plumb" with the world. Everything came cut to proper length with the exception of the shift rod housing extension. It was just a piece of PVC pipe. I had to use two grommets one below and another above the extension to maintain the water sealing capabilities. To get my proper length I measured from the shift rod hole to top of grommet before I disassembled it. Once I had installed the shift rod extension and set the length to spec it was just a matter of doing some math and measuring three times lol before I cut the PVC to fit. All in all it went smoothly and I'd recommend these kits if your doing an extension job. The casting for the case extension had a little roughness that didn't match the motor so we did have to buff it smooth before painting. After posting this originally and before I did my install I talked to some techs who are putting these kits on new motors for tournament and offshore fishermen. They add the extensions to keep thier motors stabbed in the water when running high speeds in rough water. Everyone I talked to had positive things to say about them as far as durability and strength.

Last edited:
GREASE Question when installing Bay Mfg. Extensions...
Can I just use heavy axle type crease on the top if 150 Pro xs drive shaft spline where it goes into the power head instead of 2-4-C ???
I'm putting a 5 inch Bay extension in and need some there also.
On the drive and shift extension splines should I use blue lock tight when connection the 5" pieces of just grease them also ??
Any opinions welcome, Thx in advance

Back