Logo

Yamaha 2008 VMAX 150 HP V150TLR

saltysway

I have an issue sending oil to my on engine reservoir. My question is how does the oil get from the off engine reservoir to the on engine reservoir? Is it vacuum or is there a pump? I have replaced the small white inline filter at the off engine reservoir already. I have a primer bulb plumbed inline and am currently using that to keep the on engine reservoir full.
I appreciate your input. Thanks!

There is a pump on the back of the remote tank.

When the main engine mounted tank gets low on oil a switch tells the brains of the motor about it. The brains then tell the pump to run and send oil from the remote tank to the main tank. The pump runs until the main tank gets full at which time a different switch tells the brains. The brains then tell the pump to stop.

If the remote tank is low the automatic system won't work. Is there oil in the remote tank?

If you use the emergency transfer switch does oil get pumped from the remote tank to the main tank?

COPIED FROM #2
If you use the emergency transfer switch does oil get pumped from the remote tank to the main tank?
On the motor is a switch that activates the transfer pump, just a simple momentary switch.
It doesn't fill very fast.
Also:
This is for all outboard owners that have a reserve and main oil tank for their outboards. Yamaha is the one most affected by this problem, because of the design of their tanks.. The moisture/condensation in the tanks settles to the bottom, over time it can grow a fungus and after some time the fungus can block the lines and cause motor failure.And pump problems and clog the filter. Was working on a 28 with twin 225 Yamahas. One of the tanks the sending unit had gone bad.
I pulled the tank and drained it.
I found almost 4 oz. of sludge in the bottom.
The tank has depressions in the bottom that traps the heavies.
If the tank doesn't get empty'd at least once a year you can end up in trouble.

You can test the remote pump.
#1 activate the remote switch and feel the pump and see if it works.
#2 remove 75% of the oil in the tank, unhook the hose from the remote tank, start the motor.

Once the motor is operating right, remove the squeezie.

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

Thank you guys for the reply. I have seen the pump on the inside of the reservoir, but I wasn't sure if it worked off the emergency switch only. I will toggle the switch today and see if the pump energizes and pumps oil. I will also inspect the off engine oil tank and clean as recommended. There are no signs of an oil leak, but there is serious moisture in the reservoir compartment. The problem first started when my off engine reservoir went very low and caused the on engine reservoir to go low and run the engine back. Since that incident the pump has failed to provide the necessary oil.

Yes it appears to be the pump. I tried the emergency switch yesterday and received no response from the pump. I will check the electrical connections first to make sure they are fine.

Thank you guys for the reply. I have seen the pump on the inside of the reservoir, but I wasn't sure if it worked off the emergency switch only. I will toggle the switch today and see if the pump energizes and pumps oil. I will also inspect the off engine oil tank and clean as recommended. There are no signs of an oil leak, but there is serious moisture in the reservoir compartment. The problem first started when my off engine reservoir went very low and caused the on engine reservoir to go low and run the engine back. Since that incident the pump has failed to provide the necessary oil.
Simple test that you can do.

Remove the sight tube/sump from the main engine mounted oil tank. Drain the oil. Clean and reattach and secure the sight sump. Do not add oil to the main engine mounted oil tank.

Make sure the boat mounted remote tank is full of oil.

Turn the key to the ON position only. Note the time. Wait a few seconds. The oil pump on the remote tank should start to run. If so, oil should start flowing from the boat mounted remote tank to the main engine mounted oil tank.

With the pump running and oil flowing, the main engine mounted oil tank should fill with oil. At which time the pump will be commanded to stop running. However, if the main engine mounted oil tank is not filled with oil within 3 minutes time the pump will be told to stop running.

In a healthy system the tank should fill with oil before the pump is told to time out. Within 3 minutes time.

Filters are known to become partially clogged slowing the transfer or oil. Electrical connections to the remote tank oil pump are known to have a problem which can slow the transfer of oil (pump does not run as fast). The pump itself can get weak and not pump efficiently. Hoses can get pinched and slow down the transfer of oil.

I just had to have the pump and filter replaced on mine this summer. First time in 14 years that I've had anything go "wrong" with my Yamaha. Has 800 hours. I love this motor: V150TLR.

Back