Logo

Linkage Synchronization '99 Johnson 40 hp

earlbuddy

Regular Contributor
Adjusted the linkage on my '99 Johnson 40 hp according to the measurements in the service manual.
2 1/2" for the spark control rod(yellow arrows) and 1/2" for the idle speed screw(white arrows).
I found a OMC video on Youtube. See link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qigy9Ryha2A
It shows measuring the throttle control arm with a measurement of 7 13/16". My manual says nothing about this measurement?
It also talks about the two arrows on the cam lever being inline with the roller. In my attached pic the arrows are not aligned(red arrow)
Appreciate any input/help. Thanks

Linkage.jpg

Attachments

• Linkage.jpg
    Linkage.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Linkage.jpg
    Linkage.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I think the firstest thing to is replace the roller.---Seen between the red arrows.----Why is the float bowl loose on the top carburetor ?

It's loose because I'm waiting for the rebuild kits. Should I worry about the roller being aligned with the two arrows. Manual doesn't say anything about it.

Right on Mr. Racer. Looks like is worn out. How did Earl get the float bowl screws loose without carb removal???? Is the carb tight to manifold? You put it back on for picture, right? Pivot looks worn out on aft swing plate also aft arm end looks gunnyfunker. Folks forget to remove these pivot posts and grease every 10 years or so. Just did a Johnson......it's like grease is expensive....like gold?

Last edited:
I think you're right, after looking at new ones on Ebay it's worn out. I have one coming. I attached a pic of the carb roller. How does it look to you? I found a SELOC manual online and it doesn't mention lining up roller with the two arrows either. It did say after 1994 the 7 13/16" measurement for the throttle control arm isn't used. Do you know if I still need to line the roller up with the arrows?
Roller.jpg
Carb Roller.jpg

The arm that holds the roller. The pivot looks worn out. Looking at your very first picture.

Last edited:
-----LINK & SYNC-----does not cure every ailment.-----What other inspection / trouble shooting has been done on this motor ?

It ran great all last summer. Last day pontoon was in the water couldn't get it to start. It had good spark and fuel to the carbs, so I thought I'd take
the carbs off and quickly clean and check them out. While trying to get back on the dock I dropped one into about 25 ft. of water. When looking up
correct carb number I found the ones one it weren't the correct ones. Found a good use set, which I will rebuild. Was just reading about the link and
sync in the manual and wanted to make sure it is set correctly..

Is that manual for 2 to 8 HP ?----What other trouble shooting was done if any for the " no start condition "-----If a motor does NOT have the correct carburetors I would start trouble shooting.

I took a pic of the wrong one.
s-l500.jpg

It had 50 hp carbs on it, which I wouldn't think would be a big deal. I just found the correct 40 hp carbs. Trouble shooting consisted of checking the spark and fuel flow from pump to carbs which was strong. Would you have any other suggestions?

Back