Logo

PA Salvage title?

vroomZOOM

Regular Contributor
I don't know if I am posting in the right place, but this one seems to be the most correct to me. I am thinking about getting another boat from the auction yard, "upgrading" so to speak. I will be taking north across the border, but here is the thing: the boat has a salvage title. Now don't start posting all over saying its going to be a lemon, I know what I am buying (magic hammer, compression, no milky oil, moisture etc), I have bought lemons before and yeah i learned this the hard way. I am more concerned about the paperwork, how does the salvage title thing work and can I get a clean title? (I read that somewhere). I did buy good boats from the auction before but never had to deal with a salvage title before. Anyone know how this works?

Thank you!

Sidenote: here is an idea... has anyone ever used any one of these devices to take a core sample from a boat? https://www.google.com/search?q=inc.....69i57j0l7.6248j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 I think I will try it

Last edited:
That title is only good till you get to the border.-----Then you apply for a new certificate.----Should not be hard to get.

The thing here is that if I sell the boat later, which I probably will, (everyone does) I would like to have a clean title. is there any way to check with USCG as to what happened to it? It looks like any used boat from the images. Also, will the border get pissed at a salvage title?

Thank you

Regarding the salvage title, I think a lot depends upon the ultimate 'home' for the boat...If you want to take it to CA for good, I'd check with your local office (for registration) about whether they will recognize it and then, if you plan to resurrect it, see what else may be needed to 'unbrand' the title.

I can tell you every state (down here) does it a bit different and sometimes details make the paperwork side of 'deals' a PITA....

Back