Logo

2014 Tohatsu 9.8A3 coughing

Hollyj

Hello,
I have a 4 stroke Tohatsu 9.8A3 which coughs and splutters and sometimes cuts out if i try and accelerate quickly from idle. If I accelerate slowly I have no problems.
I have tried new fuel, new spark plugs, new fuel filter and changed the oil.
I have also cleaned the carby with carby cleaner.
I have only ever used standard fuel and am considering changing to premium to see if that makes a difference.
Just an observation I have found if I put my fingers partly over the air intake it aceccelerates quickly no problems but wont go to full throttle untill I take my fingers away.
I would appreciate some advice on what might be causing the issue and what to try to fix it please?
Cheers

You are clearly too lean. Carb spray only makes your carb shiny; It does not clean the passages. I would do a complete carb disassembly, and overnight soak in real carb dip, preferably with ultrasonic help, then a careful reassembly, and it should be much better.

In the future, always run the carb dry at the end of each day, or failing that, drain the carb. That will help reduce varnishing buildup.

I have a Tohatsu 20hp 2019. When I have used it for an hour or so, it starts to splutter, reduces speed quickly and then goes to what feels like "get me home mode"
The fuel seems fine and it runs fine. Is it possible I overfilled the oil or is the engine overheating?
Thanks!
Andy

I have a Tohatsu 20hp 2019. When I have used it for an hour or so, it starts to splutter, reduces speed quickly and then goes to what feels like "get me home mode"
The fuel seems fine and it runs fine. Is it possible I overfilled the oil or is the engine overheating?
Thanks!
Andy

You have a 20E, which is EFI. Completely different from a carbed 9.8A3. Does the red light come on? What is the oil level on the stick? You can use a cheap IR thermometer to check temperature. You are in warranty, so see your dealer.

Last edited:
Back