Logo

Talking about remote control

Evinrudemen

Regular Contributor
My previous message i was talking about how my remote control is working wrong way with shifting. Well my dealer never told me anything about kit that i may need to my remote control. It is quite long time ago, when i bought my remote control, at least i can ask about that from my dealer. I think that i am not interested to remove my remote control just for this, since it was really pain to get it in its place on my boat, and also i have sealed all the screws.
For information i can tell that my remote control part number is 881170A4. At the same time with remote control, i also assembled new cable steering to my boat since old one become stiff and cable was rusty. I was lucky to find new steering kit with transom cable mount, i wanted to keep everything as original. With my Mercury, it would be possible also to run the steering cable through engine tilt tube.

Shift cable really moves wrong direction. It shifts engine to reverse when remote control is going forward. I read from internet, that some 20hp engines really needs different remote control which is working another way with gears. Also the gear-lever in my engine is working fine, i mean if i shift to forward by hand, engine really goes to forward. Oh well, this is not too big problem to me, i can use gears with my hand and throttle with remote control. Also high idle lever is working fine.

My guess would be 72 or earlier motor. They had shifting that was opposite moving the shift handle forward was reverse and vice versa. I could be wrong.

Yup I have the same problem. 77 merc 200 in 20 hp. Needs to work as push control forward and the shift cable pushes and the throttle pulls. So far I have spent numerous hours looking an contacted many dealers who all don’t know the answer. Commander 2000 is to new so it has to be Mercontrol or older but not sure. May have to use two lever control instead

The manual covers the installation of the throttle and shift cables but I'd be surprized if the Attachment kit is still available.
20remote1.jpg20remote2.jpg20remote3.jpgIn this setup the brass barrel connects to the shifter whereas in the 40 hp. and up the brass barrel is anchored.

Last edited:
Thanks for those instructions. I already located all of those pieces and installed them. Oroblem is which remote conteol to use. By installing the shift cable eye to a fixed point it is the jacket that moves. This means for a shift into forward the control has to push the cable inards. All controls so far that. Have found are a pull for shift which puts the transmisson into reverse. The only option i can find is either a two lever remote using gen 1 cables or to use a morse single with 32 style cables and adapters which is not ideak. Any ideas of a mercontrol

With these controls they were set up as Pull / Pull. They offered in the parts two different face cams and plates but those were related to upgrades depending on revision. They did offer a separate control for 2 cylinder engines 34742A10 but the parts breakdown shows all the same components so it would have a Pull to Shift plate. I find it funny that all the people I have spoken with over the last couple months (incl gong collectors) are not aware of the shift direction being different for this motor. All the -arts breakdowns on the 200 / 20hp only show the engine components and nothing about which remote to use. All the accessories breakdowns show the different remotes but all super Ed to the same for Mercontrol. The commander series2000 and up only change the throttle plate as they made the controls for other manufactures s well. Oh well this will remain a mystery. Maybe it’s suppose to use the two lever control which goes back to the 50’s.

I did some more searching and found this page that gives a setup for the smaller motors, and it seems that it's a different box.
20remote-control.jpg

Last edited:
Back