Logo

Aluminum hull repair help

247E61EA-C3A2-451D-B43E-B6F8D8A9D0E7.jpegA6364155-9B54-43E1-A391-B4C3A77FE96F.jpegTo make a long story short, I have a Lund boat that received damage on the bottom of the hull. A gash that is probably 1/4” wide and a couple inches long.. the gash continues for several more inches but is not through the aluminum completely, maybe 30-50% through... the aluminum is pushed in a little around the damage as well... there is foam behind the damage.. Any suggestions on a course of action? Should this/can this be welded? Patched with rivets and a plate? The pictures are not great. The damage is right under the passenger seat roughly mid hull but on a somewhat flat area. The damage occurs right next to/onto a rivet line where I’m pretty sure a structural support is riveted to the hull. So a backing plate from the inside may not be an option for the full length of the gash...

The first photo almost looks like floatation foam is showing through? I’d find a welder and have it repaired that way. Our neighbors Starcraft got a stress crack that a guy welded up quickly and inexpensively,but does require paint touch up

Back