Logo

6 HP 2012 F6LMHA Overheating

mills

Contributing Member
A friend brought me a 2012 Yamaha F6LMHA outboard to change the impeller because it was overheating. Impeller looked good but I changed it anyways, but no water coming out anywhere and motor was getting hot. Shut it down and looked at the thermostat. Tested it and it was opening. Took a closer look at the thermostat housing and started it up with the thermostat cover off. Very little water was coming up. I saw a very small hole in the bottom of the housing where the water should be coming through. Shut the motor off and put some acid into the housing. The blockage (salt???) cleared and water now flowed down to the impeller. Started it up and plenty of water was coming out. Put all back together and you could see water coming down the inside of the casing where the black shift connection plugs are located. However, motor still seemed to "run hot". Ran it for 15 minutes or so. No evidence of any pee hole water. Is there a pee hole on this motor? When blowing through the small black tube that runs from the thermostat there is very little resistance and you can hear the air coming out somewhere. Does this seem correct? I would think there would be a certain amount of resistance to flow through the chambers of the power head? Suggestions???

Back