Logo

3.0 Mercruiser with starting issues

NeoGixxer

This past season I was having what I assume was carburetor issues. Engine would start and run but would bogg and sputter badly everytime I killed the engine. So I had the carburetor cleaned out or rebuild. That sorta fixed the problem. Instead of having that issue all the time, it not does it occasionally.

The boat sat for about 2 months now. Now the engine won’t turn over at all. Checked the carburetor, looks clean, the spark it’s good and the starter is good. I notice that the carburetor is dry and the fuel lines from the fuel pump to the carburetor look dry.

Could it be the whole time I could been having fuel pump issues instead????? I notice when I spray starter fluid in the carburetor, the engine will turn over, bogg out and die.

i appreciate any info, thanks everyone

..."Now the engine won’t turn over at all."

Hold it! This is one of those "Hollywood inspired" dopey statements that drive us mechanics to drink. What you're actually saying (if I read you right) is that the motor cranked over just fine but refused to run. BIG difference, Agreed?

It sounds like the motor is not getting gas. I suggest you temporarily mount a pressure gage at the carb and see what pressure you're getting--should be around 5 psi.

Jeff

..."Now the engine won’t turn over at all."

Hold it! This is one of those "Hollywood inspired" dopey statements that drive us mechanics to drink. What you're actually saying (if I read you right) is that the motor cranked over just fine but refused to run. BIG difference, Agreed?

It sounds like the motor is not getting gas. I suggest you temporarily mount a pressure gage at the carb and see what pressure you're getting--should be around 5 psi.

Jeff

if I don’t get 5psi, what are the possible issues ? Fuel pump?

Low fuel pressure can be caused by bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter , fuel lines that have degraded internally , anti siphon valve not opening.

bog and sputter every time you killed the engine or run on/ dieseling is from carbon build up in combustion chambers.

Low fuel pressure can be caused by bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter , fuel lines that have degraded internally , anti siphon valve not opening.

bog and sputter every time you killed the engine or run on/ dieseling is from carbon build up in combustion chambers.

Makes sense, maybe I can take the head in and have it hot tanked, have them check to see if the valves are closing properly?

Why do you think there’s something wrong with the valves?

no need to take head off you can google carbon removal, can do it with water or sea foam down the carb, GM used to make a top engine cleaner that I had good success with. I used to get run on after towing skiers, helps some to let it idle and cool down before shutting it off. Fix your fuel starvation issue and it won’t run as lean which also contributes to run on.

Why do you think there’s something wrong with the valves?

no need to take head off you can google carbon removal, can do it with water or sea foam down the carb, GM used to make a top engine cleaner that I had good success with. I used to get run on after towing skiers, helps some to let it idle and cool down before shutting it off. Fix your fuel starvation issue and it won’t run as lean which also contributes to run on.

carbon built around the valves in the head .....I don’t believe in spraying **** down something to get a quick fix. Never had success with that. If I have the head off, I might as well get it hot tanked to get everything clean. Including the valve that are probably coated in carbon built up

carbon built around the valves in the head .....I don’t believe in spraying **** down something to get a quick fix. Never had success with that. If I have the head off, I might as well get it hot tanked to get everything clean. Including the valve that are probably coated in carbon built up

does the engine ever run as it should for very long, or does it die shortly after giving it throttle?

I doubt that you will find enough carbon that it warrants removing the head to have it cleaned... when the carbon around the valves gets heavy enough to cause problems, it is usally seen as a very weak and underpowered running condition because the valves are not fully closing... (which is very different than you are describing) this is about the only time the head needs to be removed specifically to clean the carbon deposits....

when I think I have a carbon problem in the cylinders, I use a spray bottle and spray water down the throat of the carb when the engine is to running temp and about 2000rpm.... and when I plan to take a tired but running engine down for a refresh, I will always run the water mist thru it to clean it before tearing into it...
and... a quick fix is much better than a long drawn out repair, and when the carbon is gone, its GONE, and it really doesnt matter how it got "gone" as long as it is no longer causing issues.

one thing that you said, "Now the engine wont turn over at all"..... Im reading this to mean that it no longer cranks over. this will either be an electrical issue or a hydrolock..... BUT, if you actually meant that "now it wont start at all", then this could still be electrical, but on a different circuit than the "cranking" circuit....

the other thing is, you said it "happened everytime I killed the engine".... does this mean you were intentionally killing the engine, and this happens, or that this is the event that happens that cause the engine to die?.... this will make some difference in where to look for the problem as well..

my vote is that you will find a fuel delivery issue, caused by any of the reasons already listed above... Less than 5psi of fuel is not a problem, UNLESS it is because no fuel is getting thru... one can see a LOT of fuel gushing out the line at 3 psi, and the engine should still run fine if its carbureted.

the fuel only needs enough pressure to push enough volume thru the small opening in the needle seat to feed the engine at any rpm it runs at.. if the volume isnt there (regardless of the pressure), the engine will starve for fuel and cause the type of running issues that you describe.

Ayuh,..... I agree,..... It's moronic to pull the head,......

Slowly pouring a soda bottle of water down the carb's throat, while maintaining 'bout 1500 rpms will clean the head as well as a bath in a hot tank,......

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has had success spraying **** down something....

When I was a kid, dad ran a junk yard, all old motors that had set and not run for months , years. Old glass coke bottle with trans. fluid.

Back