Logo

BF130 Avoiding cracked head

kruegerk

First time post..

Was doing a little outboard maintenance reading and came across the recall issue on the 115/130 engines that called for replacing cracked cylinder heads with a newly designed unit. I bought the 2002 boat and motor in 2013. The engine had 65 hours on it and had been sitting in a garage for a number of years with little use. It now has about 365 hours on it and I have taken very good care of it. I use salt away and flush the motor after salt use. The boat is used for fishing and dragging the kids around on tubes and wake boards. I typically troll with a smaller motor and the fishing I do results in the 130 getting started...running up or down river and then off again to troll. The engine has performed flawlessly. Never and issue starting or running. I don't know if the engine was ever checked or head possibly replaced by the prior owner or not. The woman ended up with the boat in a divorce and didn't have much knowledge to share. The frame serial number is BZBE-1300914. The engine serial number is BEBE-1016965.

I don't know if the engine number is out of range of those motors that had the potential issue. I also have read that perhaps I should switch to a 60 degree from the original 72 degree thermostat. If my motor is of the range of possible motors is there ways to prevent this? Is this something that would have failed earlier and I'm out of the window? I'm concerned I'm possibly sitting on a ticking time bomb.

Back