Logo

Milky oil coming out of 04 Honda 225 intake

Ronwell

I am original owner of 04 22' Pro line with an 04 Honda BF225 4 stroke. Boat has been in Florida so, never frozen. Always well maintained & flushed. Never any major issues with this motor until yesterday. Ran well for aprox an hour & then bogged down, started smoking white smoke out of the exhaust. I idled to the nearest boat ramp, when tilting the motor, milky brownish oil came out of the intake. I have noticed on my last few trips, a slightly rough idle but perfect top end. Any pointers would be great as I don't want to re-power the boat if II don't have too

You said: "when tilting the motor, milky brownish oil came out of the intake."

Are you talking about the two water intakes on the bottom of the leg?

Working on it now, the motor oil in the engine is frothy mocha colored & above the dipstick tube, the oil fill tube is coated with it also, I’m sure my first step is to drain that garbage out of there

Update: BF225 takes 9 quarts of engine oil, I just drained 20+ quarts of oily mix out of crankcase. Any hints or tips as to where I should start looking for the leak?, or maybe how to do a pressure test to possibly hear a leaking gasket or seal?

The most likely culprit is a failed seal on the water tube as it travels through the oil pan. See item 6 at:

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard-by-hp-serial-range/225hp/bf225a3-la-2003/oil-pan

Honda Service Bulletin #56 gives detailed instructions for getting to the oil pan and that seal. It's too big to load on this site, so if you need a copy send an e-mail to me at [email protected].

And if you do need to dig that far into the engine, then it would be very prudent to change out the original exhaust tubes for the re-designed ones, if that has not already been done. The cost of parts is about $110 on www.boats.net.

I think we may be on to something good.. Thank you for your help & input! I will send you an email for service bulletin 56

OK, I finished SB #56. Water tube grommet was in reasonably good shape, no signs of oil in the water passages in the outlet of the water tube. I installed the new exhaust pipes, oil pickup tube o-ring, oil pan gasket & water tube grommet. I believe my problem is on the top side. found left side (from the rear) exhaust pipe had oily residue in it as the right side was dry, also noticed oil dripping down drive shaft upon removing lower unit. Head gasket maybe? any input would be great. Thank you guys so much for willingness to help me get my 225 operational.

The best thing you can do with this unit is do a leak down test, and listen where the air is coming out. If a leak down test fails , you will probably have to pull both heads off and look for corrosion at the block surface. Had a few that i had to replace the blocks.

Yip, corrosion will be the problem, that amount of water would not get into the engine any way other than via a hole directly into the water jacket

Ok, pressure tested by creating a fitting & pressurizing the oil pan via oil drain plug. No pressure builds up, air is immediately escaping down the rubber hoses at the bottom of each cylinder head cover. Am I doing this wrong or did I just verify a likely corrosion problem? Again, thanks for feedback Gents!

Last edited:
There is no practical way of pressure testing. Just start by removing the heads, with the amount of water you had through there it will need a full rebuild anyway, if it's worth doing given the age.

I have a motor that has a similar issue I was just checking to see if you ever found out what was causing yours?
Yes I did find out the cause. After doing a compression test, I found a hole in one of the cylinders, block rotting from the inside out. only repair option was to replace the block. decided to re-power with a new Suzuki 225. Sorry I have no good news for your Honda. Good luck. FYI The new Suzuki is a BEAST

Back