Logo

02-03 BF225 honda

AkFelpy21

Was out on the boat about 45 minutes into it. It started to bog down and wouldn’t get above idle. Drained the water separator, and sounded like we were starting to lose cylinders. Got back to the house, and started to check into it more. None of the cylinders have any spark, the fuel pump is running and took a spark plug out to see if there was any spark. All cylinders don’t have any spark, didn’t see any flashing codes. Swapped out the main relay. We still don’t have any spark on any of the plugs. Checked the kill switch and neutral switch those are good and working like they should, if anyone has any ideas on what the cause of the problem we’d really appreciate thanks in advance!

I guess my first question is how are you checking for spark?

Did you check all of the fuses? Especially the 15A #6 and the 30A #7. Pull them and test for continuity across the contacts.

Pulling it out of the cylinder and making sure it’s grounded when it’s in the coil. And all fuses are good, and continuity is good on the fuse inserts use super lube on all electrical connections. It’s weird it seems like the cylinders are not being told to fire. Could it be a ECU issue?

Could be the ECU, but it's very rare that they fail, at least according to the postings on this Forum over the last 10 years or so. And if you go through all the diagnostics in Chapter 5 of the Helm manual you will see that for every procedure, if all the tests turn out negative, the last item is to replace the ECU with a known good one. But at over $1,000, that's an expensive way of testing.

I'm rather astounded that your not getting any fault codes. That was one of the reasons that I recommended closely checking fuse #7, because the ECU power supply and the service connector are all fed through that fuse via the PGM FI Relay.

Before going much further, I would do a really close inspection of the wiring and electrical plugs in and out of the main relay and the ECU.

Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Check and see that your timing belt hasn't broken, if the cam isn't turning there will be no spark or injector pulse and no fault code

It would be helpful if you described your issue in detail and let us know what you have done so far to try to find the problem.

Any alarms? If so, have you pulled codes?

Precisely Chawk, similar problems can be a result of numerous issues. No shortcuts save money when skipping a thorough diagnosis.

Back