Logo

Mercury 20hp 1977 Starting

Evinrudemen

Regular Contributor
I´d like to know that is it normal with older Mercury engines that it is quite heavy to pull for start it? My engine is been quite heavy to pull since new, 1977. I did rebuild for my engine about 6 years ago, for other reasons, but pull start is so heavy. I have seen videos on internet, and some people seems to start 20hp Mercury with one hand, but i definitely need 2hands + i use the weight of my body to help while pulling the rope. I know that my engine is good condition, feels like the compression is quite high and that is the reason for heavy pull. Maybe these engines are mainly designed for electric start. One reason could also be, that in my boat, the engine is quite far, even when i am sitting in the rear, i dont reach the engine very well, so i never could find very good position when starting.
Another question, how does your older Mercury starts, how many pull you need? Warm engine i need one, but when it is cold, it takes 3-4 pulls. When cold, my engine likes to "promise" at pull number 3, then i push in choke and pull one more, then it starts. It is starting like this since new. But example my Evinrude 3hp 1966, cold start takes usually 2 pulls and nothing tricks, just push in the choke when it starts.

Also make certain the rope is loaded all the way to the top of the spool. This gives you a mechanical advantage when pulling. Maybe at one time the rope was shortened. Pull 3to4 times for cold start is not too bad for a motor with no primer. These model Mercs are certainly not the easiest to pull start. I have converted several of these to electric start in order to please my clients.

Last edited:
Thank you for answers. I think i will try to lubricate somehow the starter, maybe it helps. I think that mechanically the starter is ok, since it catch right away when i start to pull the rope.

Just be sure to stretch out that shoulder before you give it a tug. My guess is that the motor has excellent compression like brand new also.

Back