Logo

BF50 2001 carbed long shaft cracked gear case

gazzagary46

Hi some advice please.
About a year ago I had a suspected corrosion j crack in the case. No oil leaked out and happy days after being welded. Sadly another crack has appeared on the other side. I may bite the bullet and look at purchasing a new gearbox. Reading the forums on this is seems it's linked to the threaded bearing carrier corroding and popping the case. In the uk it seems this happens a lot as there are lots of bf 50 and 40 outboards for sale minus the gearbox ! I have seen an advert for a much newer gear box for the injection 50. That has a different design bearing carrier with bolts on rather than a thread . The advert says this can be retro fitted to the carbed models like mine? It would be good to get the later design where the problem has been designed away. Are they correct it would fit the earlier engines like mine please?

Thanks Gary

Thank you one further question please. I have spotted a bear gear case Shell for a bf60A

would this be the same size as my 50 and be an option please.?

it would then allow me to take out all the machinery and into the new case

thanks Gary

No, a 60 is different. If you do find a gear case housing just be aware it is not simply a case of swapping over, you need special tools to set up the back lash and gear mesh pattern.

No, a 60 is different. If you do find a gear case housing just be aware it is not simply a case of swapping over, you need special tools to set up the back lash and gear mesh pattern.
Thanks for the prompt reply.
A local marine workshop has offered to weld the casing after taking everything out. They have the special Honda tool.
I guess the hard bit could be cutting the thread in any welded area so it can be torqued up correctly after wards.
looking at previous threads it does seem a common issue and the bearing retaining nut that corrodes and expands cracking the case looks a cheap service item. I’m told it could be cured by greasing it before it is fitted and replaced every few years.

I have two of these on my catamaran and they have both cracked ! 2001 and 2006 engines . Just looking for a reasonably priced long lasting solution.

It it seems many engines of that age have had the same issue

The best solution is to remove, clean and grease every 2 years, a quick simple job if it comes apart easily. I have yet to find someone to repair them once cracked because the housing distorts with the heat of the welding.

Back