Logo

Can an outdrive be checked for worn parts without disassembly?

Which drive..... which model?

A few things can be done:

..... drain some of the gear oil and look for metallic residue.
..... pull shift mechanism and inspect transmission gear teeth.
..... AQ series, pull the prop shaft bearing carrier and examine gear teeth.
..... later series, do the same.

Be sure to use new O-rings when going back together!

But again, it would be helpful to know which model drive you are asking about.

Last edited:
The Volvo penta dpa drive. 1989 model

Ok...... you can safely remove the four bolts that hold the shift mechanism onto the transmission housing, then remove the shift mechanism. This will allow you to see the gear teeth on each of the “driven“ gears.

You’ll need to build one of my prop shaft bearing carrier puller tools in order to remove the carrier. This will allow to see all three gears and one bearing race.

You can " listen " to the outdrive.----On the trailer with a stethoscope in neutral or in gear.----A wood stick , $2 tool or a fancy one with electronics.-----Wood stick can be used with drive in the water.-----You would have to know what a new one sounds like.

You can " listen " to the outdrive.----On the trailer with a stethoscope in neutral or in gear.----A wood stick , $2 tool or a fancy one with electronics.-----Wood stick can be used with drive in the water.-----You would have to know what a new one sounds like.

Yes.... you would need to have some real life experience as to what a new drive would sound like!

But I digress here..... I think that Fishmaster (the OP) is wanting to actually look inside at some of the components......., hence the thread title!

Fishmaster, here are a few photos of my prop shaft bearing carrier puller tool design.
This tool works on both the s/p and Duo Prop lower units.

Prop shaft carrier puller tool 4.jpg

Prop shaft carrier puller tool 5 .jpg

Back