Logo

Fibreglass hull painting following repair

MChurch

Hi Team,

I'm after some advice on finishing the hull on a Wellcraft Fisherman centre console. It had quite a few scratches and dings which I have repaired with a marine filler and sanded back. Now I want to know if I am able to paint straight over top or do I need to apply all new gelcoat?
The boat is trailered so not stored in the water and most work that has been done is below the waterline. I'm just trying to get it all back to looking good rather than having patches all over it.

Wellcraft Fisherman hull repairs.jpgWellcraft Fisherman hull repairs2.jpg Some pics for reference.

Any advice is much appreciated!

It's been my experience that Gelcoat does not adhere well to marine filler. You may want to consider one of these new epoxy hull paints. I've heard that they actually hold up better than gelcoat and are much easier to repair and paint over. But I have no first-hand experience with the newer ones.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. Painting will certainly be a lot easier. Would I need to do a primer first or can I paint straight on to the hull?

I painted the bottom of my Glastron jet boat with Interlux VC performance Epoxy. Come in white and is vary hard. They sell it on a quart kit If you are painting small areas if not a gallon kit. It a below water product. You can roll it on or brush it. They have thinner if you want to smooth it out.

Back