Logo

Honda Dr H Diagnostics

123jayyyy

Looking to get computer diagnostics for my Honda 225. From what I understand the Honda OEM software (Dr H) requires a dealer account to register and use this software. There is a company named Heal Tech that makes a watered down version of Dr H as well as some sellers on ebay that offer similar watered down software / interface hardware. Has anyone used Dr H or any of the other aftermarket Honda Marine diagnostic offerings, if so what was your experience like.

Looking to get computer diagnostics for my Honda 225. From what I understand the Honda OEM software (Dr H) requires a dealer account to register and use this software. There is a company named Heal Tech that makes a watered down version of Dr H as well as some sellers on ebay that offer similar watered down software / interface hardware. Has anyone used Dr H or any of the other aftermarket Honda Marine diagnostic offerings, if so what was your experience like.

I also emailed BRP diagnostics about their Dr H system that uses a CD instead of the online registration that the Honda oem Dr H requires dealership verification process in order to download the needed software. Its been over a week with no response from BRP, Honda might have taken legal actions to prohibit aftermarket versions of Dr H from being sold to the general public.

It is my understanding that it is BRP that makes the OEM Dr. H for Honda. If I recall correctly several folks on this forum have purchased it from BRP. Hopefully they will speak up about the process.

I have the BRP version of Dr. H. I have not had the opportunity to use it except very briefly. What I did see was very good although I don't think that it has any bi-directional abilities as the Honda factory tool would have. It seems to display all the information on my laptop that you would expect including analog gauges and graphing parametrics in vivid colors.

In my exchanges with Bob at BRP, he explained that his software was "reverse engineered" from the authentic Honda Dr. H program.

I have had the software since 2014 so my knowledge of what might be happening with this Australian based company would be suspect at best. It is possible that he may have suffered the wrath of Honda in some way but I doubt it. After all, there are many "scan tools" being used to query Honda PCMs every day in their cars and motorcycles. Although he may have made a mistake using the DrH title if he didn't have permission.

AFAIK this is a very small outfit and that might explain the delay in communications. I would definitely recommend getting his product if it's still available.

That's my take on the subject.

Chawk,
Can't blame anyone for accuracy on this. We've been batting this around here for a long time now and I know I've been wrong on the subject more than once me-own-self;>)

I bought the Dr. H diagnostics. I bought it from BRP and it comes with a CD with the software and drivers. When registering the software just enter any dummy dealer info. It works for me. Hope this helps.

I just bought the OEM DR H from Boats.net, it came with the interface hardware, cables and instructions but no CD. They want you to register to verify your a Honda dealer then you get an unlock code to download the software via the internet.

When I tried to register with Honda for the Dr H software I failed to qualify as an authorized dealer, my access to the software was denied. I will probably return the Dr H interface kit and buy one of the watered down versions off ebay. These don't have the same depth of diagnostics as Dr H but they are better than nothing. My motor runs great I don't need to do any repairs right now but if an issue pops up mid season it's a 4-6 week lead time at either shop I would take my motor to. If I can fix something myself which I'm usually able to do I don't miss a third or half a season.

Last edited:
Were you able to try the software that I provided?

I couldn't download the message i got was file was unsupported or corrupt, I even tried opening with a VLC and it would not work. It seems these days Honda is very protective of there Dr H software and design it not to be shared. For the newest version I just bought it does not come with a CD, after they verify your dealer credentials they email you a "usage fee". Only then you are permitted to download the base software and model software from the service information site.

There is also possibility that I'm not computer savvy enough to figure out a workaround to be able to download and run the file you provided. The offer from you to share the software is greatly appreciated though.

I purchased a early version of the Healtech OBD tester a couple years ago and it worked great, until I loaned it to a buddy and it came back with a connector broken off. The unit I purchased came from China, and was probably a knock-off. In January, I purchased the DR H tester from Boats.net, but didn't try to use it until today. This is the Honda shop unit, same as 123Jayyy purchased. I called boats.net, and they confirmed that the software is now available to dealers only, and they are willing to let me return it. If I could find a copy of the DR H software, I would prefer to keep the DR H. Looks like BRP and Boats.net no longer sell the DR H. The current version of the HealTech sold by PodiumSuperBike appears to have fixed the weak connector problem, so I'll spend another $225 on ebay...

I just purchased the Heal tech OBD kit, I've only used it with the engine off but it works great for stored data. I'll post some screenshots when I have a chance to hook it up with the engine running.

I just purchased the Heal tech OBD kit, I've only used it with the engine off but it works great for stored data. I'll post some screenshots when I have a chance to hook it up with the engine running.

Here is the heal tech OBD with the engine off key on, it wouldn't let me attach the file with the engine running. Probably because that file plays like a video, gives a lot of info trying to figure it all out.

Attachments

• Honda BF 225.png
    Honda BF 225.png
    260.3 KB · Views: 346
Here is the heal tech OBD with the engine off key on, it wouldn't let me attach the file with the engine running. Probably because that file plays like a video, gives a lot of info trying to figure it all out.

One thing to note which I've also seen with my Dr H, there is a bug in the calculation of the barometric pressure - With the engine off, barometric pressure should be close to the Absolute Manifold Pressure, roughly 29 inHg or 101kPa at sea level. The DR H reports barometric pressure about 40% low. Even with the bug, the Dr. H is a great tool that will pay for itself the first time you have a problem and can fix it yourself without taking your boat to the shop.

Are you saying that the software distorts the baro reading from a properly reporting MAP sensor?

The software reads baro from the MAP sensor. It doesn't calculate baro on it's own.

Just wondering.

Are you saying that the software distorts the baro reading from a properly reporting MAP sensor?

The software reads baro from the MAP sensor. It doesn't calculate baro on it's own.

Just wondering.

The Honda BF 225 has a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (MAP) and a Barometric Pressure Sensor. If you take a look at the DR H screenshot posted by 123jayyyy above, with the engine not running, the value from the MAP sensor looks like a reasonable surface pressure reading (101 kPa), but the value from the barometer should be close to the MAP sensor, but it is way low at only 60 kPa. I've seen similar data from both of my engines. This indicates to me the problem is a bug with the DR H software.

Well...I can't argue with that. Now I'd like to know why Honda used two baro devices on this engine. Anyone know? I mean it's not like people climb mountains with their boats.
And where is it mounted? I can't find it on the parts site.
I'm gonna have to find a 225 to hook my Dr.H to now!
Thank you!

Here is the healtech software with the honda BF225 engine running, screenshots of data and graph.
View attachment 23056 View attachment 23057

i know this post is a little old but hopefully 123jayyyy is still on here. I recently reached out to healtech and downloaded their trial software for a bf225 and nowhere on there did i see running time hours like in your pic. I emailed them and they said i could not get that info from their software. What gives? Wondering where the misinfo is coming from. My engines are 2003, may be yours are newer, but same software, no? Let me know what you think. Im anxious to get funning time from my motors. Thanx.

That's a head scratcher, my motor is an '04 225 it will display run time on your motor as well. Maybe email Healtech a link to this thread and let them explain why your not getting the same metrics as I am. Maybe the trial version leaves out information you would only need one time like hours so you buy the software.

Sorry for butting in but I wonder if the trial version number matches the one from the original link that 123jayyy sent? And, if not, what ARE all the changes?

That one is V2.0.0.4

That might be a question for Healtech as to why that may have changed since I'm pretty sure that run time IS in the ECM and should be available for factory warranty purposes.

Maybe they ran into issues with Honda on a proprietary basis??
Though, if that were true, why would it just be for that one parameter? Wouldn't make any sense.

Good luck.

Back