Logo

Mercury Repair Center Cannot Diagnose issue

Minkybut

2016 Mercury 40 efi Virginia. Motor will start and idle on second crank. Can idle around in gear. If I go to give it gas normal it will cut off. If I shove it quickly sometimes it will go. If I am on plane and try to slow down normally it will cut off, if I slow down reaaaal slow, I can keep it running sometimes. Dealer kept it 27 days, gave up and told me to come get the motor that was out of warranty by one month. They sent injectors away, tried different tank, changed plugs, oil, water separator, cleaned VST tank, new hoses and bulb, checked gas pump pressure, checked thermostat. Nothing changed. No beeps from throttle controller.
????

Call the factory representative.------They will want to know what is wrong with your Mercury motor !!

I have talked to them 3 times.they told me the dealership had called once and asked what to do. Mercury said dealership had not called back with results. I called dealership, they said they tried what mercury the h suggested but it didn't work. Dealership told me to call Mercury and request a service spe******t to come to dealership. So I called Mercury back and told them what dealership said. They told me dealership could only request that. I called dealership back and told them that . They told me they could not put anymore time into motor!

Keep calling and don't give in to them.------One of the issues with high tech / electronics is that often it is difficult to diagnose.----Give me the old stuff.

Keep calling and don't give in to them.------One of the issues with high tech / electronics is that often it is difficult to diagnose.----Give me the old stuff.

I never give up, they had better figure that out. I think Nansemond Marine just don't have a real Merc technician. They are supposed to be a Mercury Premier dealer. Don't think so.

3 or 4 cylinder ???? Could be IAC,MAP or regulator.These would be first thing I would test if fuel pressure was correct...

3 or 4 cylinder ???? Could be IAC,MAP or regulator.These would be first thing I would test if fuel pressure was correct...

Thank you, we swapped IAC out with the one on my 60 and that was not the issue. I was sure it was, but was not. Mine 3 cylinder.
MAP, I guess is next to check, what regulator are u talking about?
I was also thinking TPS sensor maybe? What do you think?

I recall many years ago an incident.-----Party had a car that was using / burning too much oil.-----Dealer could not find the problem.------Owner put a 45 gallon barrel on roof top carrier with hose going under the hood.----Sign declaring " another oil burner from %#$#@&%$# motors ".------He got a call within days and issue was resolved.--------I believe your issue has not reached the right corporate desk yet !!

2016 Mercury 40 efi Virginia. Motor will start and idle on second crank. Can idle around in gear. If I go to give it gas normal it will cut off. If I shove it quickly sometimes it will go. If I am on plane and try to slow down normally it will cut off, if I slow down reaaaal slow, I can keep it running sometimes. Dealer kept it 27 days, gave up and told me to come get the motor that was out of warranty by one month. They sent injectors away, tried different tank, changed plugs, oil, water separator, cleaned VST tank, new hoses and bulb, checked gas pump pressure, checked thermostat. Nothing changed. No beeps from throttle controller.
????
Okay, we figured out the problem. Diesal fuel in gas tanks. Yes, my fault. Yes, I am stupid, yes, I have mental issues hhhaaaa. At least it's over

That screw up is second only to the immortal "Crap! I forgot to put the plug in!"

Merry Christmas all.

Jeff
Well I think we all have done that at one time or another. It just depends on how fast u realize that mistake as to how bad the outcome is😅 Merry Christmas!

Odd that it idles....

It would not have but it was like a tank that has good gas in it, I had topped it off with diesal so it was a blend. It is odd to me that it would run, if I hit the throttle fast Ang got it on plane, but would cut off coming off the throttle, I'm guessing the backdrag on motor kinda choked it off because the octane value was so low

Maybe you owe them an apology.
I wouldn't as when they changed water separator it should have been dumped into a glass and inspected for containments, thats a given test to all my customers is a fuel sample.

That screw up is second only to the immortal "Crap! I forgot to put the plug in!"

Merry Christmas all.

Jeff
Or as the brother says to me "Is there meant to be that much water there?":eek::D
Hope all had a pleasant and Merry Christmas and a very Happy and prosperous New Year

Back