Logo

"Wanted GURU " for 1987 mercury mariner 25 hp wear seal removal and replacement advise

jeffrey.c

Please ,Please any one out there ?can advise me how to remove and replace the wear seal part no 822445A1 (99538) in order to install new bottom crankshaft seal without dissasembqling the crankcase. i have tried heating it up with blow torch but seems impossible to pull of and i am afraid to much heat will damage the crankshaft bearing lubrication .any tips will be truly appreciated Happy Holidays to all regards
Jeff.c

What is the motor doing / not doing that led you to this approach.-----These wear sleeves are durable to say the least.

Thank you for your reply , Racerone . Motor would not idle or run at low revs, coughing spluttering , then would die ,would run at higher revs but would not idle . i have had the motor since 1990 ,experienced the stuck ball bearing in the spring of the the carb .iI almost know the carb better than the wifes ####.Compression at about 115 /120 i am convinced reed valves, electronics ,spark ,coils switch box ,stator not at fault so after reading many,posts i thought i should try replace the top and bottom crankshaft seals which i thought would be easy but now im at a point i cant remove the bottom seal seems you have to remove the wear seal (carrier ,another term i have read) in order to replace the bottom seal. A Great previous post was "should i replace the wear seal "? this i read and appears i have to replace the wear seal to remove the bottom seal,i want to avoid opening the crankcase if possible. Its so nice for someone like you to try and help , i really appreciate your time ,a happy hollday to you and your dearest regards Jeff

Thank you Mikey N.C for replying to my post , yes i do have the workshop manual , it does not show how to replace the top and bottom oil seals also there are 3 variations of wear sleeve , which i believe has to be removed before installing the bottom seal on the 1987 25 hp mariner, mine being part number 99538 also (822445A1). i have posted a reply to Racerone who also responded to my request, there are more details as to what has lead me to this decision to replace top and bottom seals . Thank you so much for taking an interest in my dillema .Happy Holidays to you and your dearest regards Jeff

That does not need to come off to replace the crank seal. I dont remember if there is a cap over the seal or not on that model. But I think there is ,hopefully you have the power head pulled off.

Thank you FlyingScott ( Im From Mucky Manchester ) for your interest and quick reply in trying to help me . Yes i have the head on my bench There is no urgency in this project , i have wanted to get this motor running again as i have a dear relationship with it after 30 years , i think there must be over 2500 hours on it but i have treated it as good as the missus i think . Question is can the bottom seal be removed without removal of the wear sleeve ? and how to i remove it thank you for taking an interest.This is a wonderful site with with people who really try to help ,thank you regards Jeff

Is there a round plate with 3 bolts in it around the shaft. If there is take the bolts out and pop that piece out. The seal is under there.

unfortunately not .There is a choice of 3 wear seals , that fit over the end of the crankshaft ,according to a previous post , "should i risk replacing the wear seal " which can be found on line google search, was very informative . the wear seal seems t fit over the end of the crankshaft i think is heat sweated on and the seal underneath, but i am not clear ?,thank you so much . Jeff

thank you for your help , how to remove this bottom seal seems to be my problem ,it seems to be completely unmovable what tool should i use ?other than prying ?

Thank you for your reply , maybe i could not see the wood for the trees and jumped in to deep ,i will purchase a ""lisle seal puller hope fully it will work ,i removed the port transfer covers to inspect the pistons.n the cover under the switch box one of the securing screws was LOOSE ,could this have been my problem all the time ? i noticed scoring about 1/2 inch on the lower cylinder piston below the ring (exhaust side ) everything else seemed good other than this . Finally should i consider changing the piston rings now i have it on the bench ,financially this is as far as i will go .

Thank you for your reply , maybe i could not see the wood for the trees and jumped in to deep ,i will  purchase a ""lisle seal puller hope fully it will work ,i removed the port transfer covers to inspect the pistons.n the cover  under the switch box one of the securing screws was LOOSE ,could this have been my problem all the time ? i noticed scoring about 1/2 inch  on the lower cylinder piston below the ring (exhaust side ) everything else seemed good other than this . Finally  should i consider changing the piston rings now i have it on the bench ,financially this is as far as i will go .

If you have a scored piston then a new seal will not help.-----Take this motor apart now.----Inspection required.----Post pictures once it is apart.

As per post # 2 you are having issues , correct ??-------You have now found scoring.-----Your motor needs to come apart now.-----Not that much work.---Afterwards you will say ----" that was easy "----Just my opinion.

Thank you racerone , as its pretty expensive buying pistons ,even rings , and major parts (here a in Canada at least 36% percent on the dollar exchange by the time the transaction and shipping are completed) in addition realizing that once i open the block the chrome cannot be honed or bored ,im now thinking of replacing only the top and bottom seals as i wrecked the bottom one . (i did consider new rings only) then and put it together and hope for the best .thanks for sharing your knowledge with me and your sincere suggestions. Happy Holidays.

There are lots of very good used parts available in Canada.-----What is your location ??-----I do not believe new seals will help this motor.-----Sometimes I wonder if people really understand how 2 stroke engines work.

wow you seem to have a real handle on this . what are you suggesting ? where are you located ? im in Toronto Ontario even if i dont resolve the motor situation i have enjoyed making contact with human beings i can share with thank you , thank you .

I believe your next step is to take this motor apart to see what is needed.----As stated these engines are actually very easy to work on !

Back