Logo

290 sp U joint issue?

Rscottdds

Regular Contributor
Starting to get a vibration when turning to the port or starboard. Doesn't seem to vibrate going straight. What are the issues leaving as is until it gets worse?
Robert

Robert, as well as needing to replace the bearing crosses (aka U-joints), you may have a PDS (primary drive shaft) bearing issue!

1..... Starting to get a vibration when turning to the port or starboard. Doesn't seem to vibrate going straight.

2..... What are the issues leaving as is until it gets worse?

1..... Robert, do you have any history of the PDS bearings having been replaced?
When the AFT bearing begins to go, you will sense a vibration.

2..... If let go for too long, and if you had a complete bearing failure, the damage can be catastrophic and very expensive to repair.

If you have the V-8 engine, and if your flywheel cover has a grease port at the 12:00 O'clock position, you have the double bearing PDS.
Unfortunately, the engine must be either slid forward or removed for the replacement.
These are industry standard bearings...... a 6206 and a 6007, w/ two 35x62x7mm single lip seals in a TCM or Timken brand.

If you have the OHC 4 cylinder engine, this will be a single bearing PDS, in which case the engine does not need to be removed for the replacement.
This will be a 6206 bearing.

In either case, the AFT seal installs in the non-conventional direction!
Be sure to pre-fill the grease cavity while spinning the PDS until you see grease exit the AFT bearing ball cage.

As for bearing crosses, the 290 SP should be an A transmission. If so, the transmission bearing box will be fairly easy to remove for the replacement.
Replace all O-rings if you do this!

The Spicer 5-1306X is a very good replacement.
The grease fitting is in the apex of the cross, right where we want it to be.

spi-5-1306x.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I don’t like the sound of catastrophic. Catastrophic as in dangerous or just expensive? And does the vibration usually warm you and get worse before catastrophe?
Robert

Thanks. I don’t like the sound of catastrophic. Catastrophic as in dangerous or just expensive?
Both.
Robert, imagine that you are out 10 miles in heavy current when the AFT bearing fails. No more forward propulsion.

I have seen damage range from just the bearing going out, to the PDS taking out the rear flywheel cover snout, to the PDS taking out not only the rear snout, but also taking out the front of the transmission.

V-8 flywheel cover................ $400 used
OHC 4 flywheel cover............ $100 used
PDS................................... $200 used
PDS bearings/seals ............. $70 new
Front transmission collar....... $800/1,000 used and with labor.
Not to mention the labor for pulling a V-8 engine out.

And does the vibration usually warm you and get worse before catastrophe?
I've not been at the helm of a boat when this has occurred, so I can't say one way or another.
I would think that it would be very sudden!
The warning is what you are hearing/feeling now!

Back