Logo

1968 Johnson 3hp Spark Gap Jump Test

Evinrudeman is in Finland, few simple sources for parts like us here in US. Look at those handmade gaskets on reed block......beautiful. I grew up with the Finnish people in frigid Hibbing Minnesota, quickly learning they are very skilled and durable tradesmen. I owe plenty of what I know from Finnish mentors. Hats off to you brother.

Thank you very much ! I am really happy to know that there are still people who also loves old outboard motors. Nowadays when new technology is here, it is not easy to find friends who have same passion. These engines, if well maintained, will run long to the future.

I don't know if it's kosher to update such an old thread, but I reset the points and the motor runs great now. Thanks for keeping me from wasting money on new parts!

Never too late, thanks Swarlos. Just tuning up a trade in 63 3 hp Johnson now. Lower cowling was missing, also it had dry seized. Weak spark also. By carefully dressing breaker points with a fine carborundum stone and oil, (need to dismantle them for this job), refreshing coils with a newer version, freeing up rings and pistons with a 50/50 mix of lite oil and acetone, rebuild carb with a reconditioned cork float, (I coat with a very thin layer of clear aircraft epoxy), also add an in-line clear 1/4" filter (these things are engineered with a problematic and expensive in-tank type easy to plug up filter), retain the original solid stainless float needle (if still in good shape), ordered used lower cowling with carry handle from Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN, new impeller, pressure test lower unit to 15 psi, mix 100:1 full synthetic Amsoil Saber @ 64:1 and non-oxy (recreational fuel).....she is ready to go, STRONG 3/8" hot blue/white spark, idles as quietly and smoothly as a sewing machine, WOW! Makes this 5 hp. 2 stroke Yamaha look sick. 1963 engineering, or 2000 engineering, ha.......give me that twin cylinder 3 any day.

I admire the way you go through an old classic, but you scare the he!! out of me running at 64:1...... amsoil or not.

Ha! I don't blame you for that. I first started in 1976, when Al Amatuzio first engineered the 100:1 2 stroke and presented it to my Dad, also an engineer and avid guide and fisherman. We have a shack in remote NW Ontario. Al said: "Frank try my oil at your camp, mix 100:1 and in the real old stuff like that green Johnson 5 go 64:1. They don't have needle or roller bearings, only bushings.....they need a little more oil. If you burn one up because of this, I'll buy you a brand new motor". I will never forget what my Dad said in response: "Al I don't want a new motor, I want what I already have".........That was 43 years ago.....both Dad and Al are gone, but every single one of these motors still in my possession, still live on. Trust me, mix carefully.......you will never burn up a motor because of me.....never. I have hands on experience since that day when Al Amatuzio, founder of Amsoil, pilot in WWI, building his business with his own knowledge and experience of synthetic lubes used in military aircraft......when Al handed me my first case of 100:1 2 stroke.

Last edited:
Ha! Guess you can see I like old stuff........ "I like what I already have"! IMG_20200411_130434859_HDR_compress65.jpg
Not sure why photo turned on me, goofy Android phone?

Last edited:
Nothing cant beat the smooth sound of these 3hp Evinrude/Johnson engines. So smooth sound, that you just need to know that it is running with all cylinders. Hard to believe that 2stroke engine can run so smooth without vibrations. These engines can offer everything what you need for pleasure trip. No fast, but reliable and smooth sound. I always try to use good quality 2stroke oil. One night i got weird though, if someday in the future they stop to sell any gas, i will try to turn my Evinrude to electric motor, so that it still will look the same from outside.

Last edited:
My newest is 1995, but out of the 4 motors I have my 1982 4.5 Johnson is probably my favorite. I can troll all week in Canada on 6gal of fuel. My '57 3hp is the least used . It was for use on our canoe but that hasn't been out of garage in 3 yr

I mean you really like this old stuff and still use it?IMG_20200411_152006143_HDR_compress6.jpgIMG_20200411_152715349_HDR_compress69.jpg
See "Pa" father - in - law here 18 years from Philippines, my head mechanic 81 years old........25 years older than this motor. He was mechanic in Philippines.

I sure do, my boat & motors are garage kept (heated in winter). I'm finally able to afford the things I couldn't when I was young. LOL
I'm not a fan of the new 4 strokes, and it wouldn't be the same if I couldn't get a whiff of my two strokes running from time to time when using them. Brings back lots of good memories of bygone days on the water.

Yup. I really enjoy this stuff too. So much more enjoyable to use, I embrace the old " bulletproof" technology. Why?.......In my 50 years of guiding in remote Ontario, I never, ever got stranded with a pre-HEI/CDI ignition......NEVER!
You can trust this old stuff with your life.....and where we are and the seasons we work, hunt, and fish...you sometimes have to.
Picture Walter Mondale and Timguy in 1979 with a few Northerns.....cooking dinner for the group, yes....I take out the "y" bones....beer batter! Notice my outboards. Trust'em then.....trust'em now.IMG_20191031_124957582_compress30.jpg

Last edited:
I used to help my uncle and take some guests out for him a couple weeks in the summer in the late 60's early 70's when they owned Tamarack Lodge in Lake of the Woods . Good place to get lost for sure.

Back