Logo

2000 75 hp Merc leaking gas out the bottom carb

BowhunterWoody

Been having all kinds of trouble trying to stop gas from coming out the front of the bottom carb. I rebuilt the carb twice, the lines and filter replaced, rebuilt fuel pump, changed the float angle/bent the tab for the needle valve. Finally had enough and bought a brand new carb from a merc dealer. Same thing. About 1 drop every 10 seconds out the front of the carb into the coul. Anyone out there have any more ideas? Motor Runs great at idle and higher rpms.

Last edited:
Couldn't figure out how to edit my post so I'm replying to it. Anyone have any ideas as to who I might be able to get some information from on this? I'm totally frazzle

Can't imagine it's normal. After about a half hour there's a pretty big pool of gas in the coul. Seems pretty dangerous. Didn't think about Reed valves.

If you installed a " brand new " carburetor and you still have a leak.-------I would say it is not the carburetor that is leaking !

Have to agree with that. Just don't have any other symptoms of bad Reed valves. Motor seems to run perfect. No idle or hi rpm problems. No backfires or flooding. I guess I'll have to look into it though, I've got nothing else to go with. Driving me nuts. Think I should replace all three or just the one that might be leaking?

Thanks. Really appreciate all the help. Man reed blocks cost a fortune. Is it reasonable to replace the reeds or should the whole block be replaced. I'm not sure switching out the carbs will show anything. Like I said before, I already replaced the leaking carb with a brand new one and it still leaked.

Perhaps you should have your local " trusted " Mercury dealer have a look at it.-----Might be cheaper in the long run !!

Yea I think I might have to. Just have about $500 and an entire season into it now. Two carb rebuilds, two or three times just ripping them out to try adjusting floats and tabs. Then a whole new carb. I've about had it.

Yep. Again thanks for all the help. Pretty much settled on the fact it's not a carb problem. I've got a few Merc dealers near enough. "Trusted" is another thing. Been through the ringer on more than one occasion with one of them. Just want to get this right so I can sell it. Can't in good conscience sell it this way. Again thanks for all the help.

Was wondering if you can remove just the bottom manifold over the reed valve block or do you have to remove all three at once. Just want to know how many front and back gaskets to order. Only want to do the bottom one that is behind the only leaking carb.

Back