Logo

2001 200 efi issues

andyx3000

Hello.. sorry if i am double posting but I can’t find the original post that I try to start. I will try to be as detailed as I can.
outboard is a 2001 200hp efi mercury.
engine idles fine and revs perfect on muffs. When load testing the engine in the water it will idle fine but when I give it full throttle it will no go past 2000rpms. After some time with the throttle all the way up, it catches up and revs to full rpm and works as it should . The time it takes varies from time to time.
so far I have replaced fuel lines, water separator, fuel filter, spark plugs(maintenance), primer bulb. Two weeks ago it stop charging and replaced the stator and trigger. The problem still persisted today. I have no idea what else to check. Today Emptied VST and gasoline was dark green but clean. Primed the bulb and gasoline came out perfect yellowish transparent.Any ideas will help .. thanks!

If its not charging replace the rectifiers/regulators.....
Already replaced those and still have the issue. I performed a compression test and all cylinders were between 122/130psi...
I rev the engine up to 1500rpms and started to disconnect coils ...
3 coils the drop in rpms was substantial. 2 coils it barely did anything. And one coil had an RPM spike... the boots inside had a lot of rust. So I am guessing at the vare mínimum the extra resistance in braking havoc... i am going to replace all the coils ... anyone knows what are the testing parameters for this coils primary and secondary circuit?

thank you

You talk about two separate problems have you fixed the charging problem with the stator replacement? The wire ends are rusty? Where they plug into the coils? Replace both the coils and wires. Pappy may not understand that you have 2 separate problems, with the charging problem starting some period after the initial problem. If coils show rust inside at the high voltage terminal then they should be replaced. They are about 100 bucks for a full set, wires additional.

Last edited:
Note: Coils with internal rust, or even rust at the high voltage port will not be effectively tested. Why? An ohmeter may not be able to detect an area of weakness or internal arcing. Here's the problem. If a high-voltage coil is unable to effectively discharge its load perhaps in the case of a rusted or corroded high voltage wire creating improper continuity to the spark plug, it may eventually damage itself internally. This is not always positively identified with simple test proceedures such as the use of a multimeter. Best to know the symptoms, study the warning signs, and replace if any suspicion.

If the rust was causing any problems it would not idle fine as you state. You need to test voltage first!!! If your not charging the fuel pump will not operate correctly to supply the needed pressure for injectors. Also need to test on a trailer as I suspect you have a switchbox or stator problem and its dropping out on the high speed side of ignition system.

Right, we need more specifics from Andy. Apparently he has already replaced the stator and trigger. He wasn't clear whether that corrected the charging problem or not.

Last edited:
Back