Logo

94 tohatsu question

Spongerssuck206

Hello everyone,
So I'd been a minute since I have been on this forum or delt with marine motors in general, atleast 10yrs. I recently invested in another boat 4th to be exact, I can't seem to lesson.

Anyways to my question, I am new to tohatsu engines I have always seen good things from them bullet proof basically. I picked one up the other day running with 130psi in both heads. It is a 1994 short shaft 40hp the model is the M40C. Now the motor I guess has been sitting for a good time and the plugs were a little darker and had some oil residue on them which I expected to see on an engine that has been sitting. The owner was not very mechanically inclined at all it seemed. The motor started cold with one pull and ran fine. Alot of smoke came out of the exhaust which for a two stroke is normal until it warms up and given the plugs were pretty black I'm assuming the guy had a rich mixture in the tank.

**What has me confused**
After the engine was shut off I noticed a grey black sludge coming from a small hole at the bottom of the lower unit. It's a factory hole but it was oozing the blackish grey substance. I felt it on my finger and smelled it and it smelled like 2stroke fuel. Just to be safe I check the oil in the lower end to get a comparison and see if it was a leak in the lower unit and the oil in the lower unit was still clear and gold like honey.

I have been doing research and getting different answers. But nothing that seems to be the same symptom I had. People say that the GRE sludge came from the exhaust or prop mine isn't. Mine is coming from that little hole just below the bell where the prop is. A small amount came from around the prop but not alot. And it just kept coming. Im suspecting it is build up from the exhaust flushing out?? Am I wrong or is it something else. It changed colors the longer it kept going the darker it became.

Opinions and info would be great!!!

The M40C was a great motor in its day, but that day is long gone. Many parts are NLA, so treat the motor well. Run 50:1 TCW3 oil, and always run the carb dry at the end of the day.

That sludge is unburned leftover 2-stroke oil. Not to worry about that. Typical.

Back